Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
kvirtanen
802.11n
Views: 1,085
Message 1 of 2

YOGA 12: Access BIOS after keyboard spill

My Yoga 12 keyboard was ruined due to spill and now won't work at all. I just need to press ESC, but I cannot...

I need to access BIOS as the laptop is asking for a correct date due to complete disassembly and removal of CMOS battery.

An external USB keyboard doesn't work during bootup...

BIOS version is 1.24.

If I hold F1 on the built-in keyboard prior to powering up, the system enters BIOS. After that, no response. The keys are stuck.

I even tried hot-removing the keyboard cable from the motherboard when having entered BIOS and then plugging in a USB keyboard.

Tried both USB ports to no avail ./

I just need to be able to press ESC to bypass the date check -- the laptop works otherwise.

I'll buy a new built-in keyboard, but would love to hear alternative solutions in the meanwhile. Is Fast Boot affecting USB keyboard combatibility? Any secret key combos I could use to reset the BIOS?

Would plugging the laptop into a dock help (connecting a USB keyboard onto the dock)?

PS: Why on earth won't external keyboards work during bootup on this laptop?? .(

http://vanhavirta.fi/
kvirtanen
802.11n
Views: 1,011
Message 2 of 2

Re: YOGA 12: Access BIOS after keyboard spill

Solving my own problem: try using a really basic, cheap USB keyboard. I borrowed one from work; the brand is Cirkuit (CKP-KB6013 Wired Multimedia Keyboard).

The one I tried before was one of those expensive MX-keyed mechanical keyboards (sorry, don't remember the brand) I borrowed from a friend.

Plugged in the cheap keyboard to the right-side USB port, and it works right from starting up the laptop.

I'll probably have to disconnect the internal keyboard to prevent it from wreaking havoc while I wait for my replacement part to arrive.

...although at first glance it seems to be fine .)

http://vanhavirta.fi/

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors