Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: S Series, ThinkPad Yoga and Twist Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-19-2015

All over the place! YIKES

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Views: 31
  • Message 1 of 6

Yoga 12 Thinkpad Keyboard lacks efficient keys

2015-06-19, 11:12 AM

Hello Lenovo forum,

I require help with my new Lenovo thinkpad, a Yoga 12.

I have an issue with the keyboard, it lacks keys that are required for efficient use. This is my only issue with the laptop but is enough to have me consider getting a refund.

It should be possible to resolve these issues through software or registry hacks, I could use some suggestions as to how:

1. No numlock key, it would be great if I could put this on Fn+Delete and to put the numpad on Fn+{the usual keys every other laptop uses for these}

2. Right ALT does not cause for different symbols as is usually the case

3. There is no context menu key, would like to place this on the current PrtSc key

4. left Ctrl and the Fn key should probably switch places

(5. I could make do with Home and End being on left/right arrow keys)

I've already been looking into ways to do this, all I've found out was a way to remap existing keys, but not to create new key combinations without continuously running software.

Some help in getting these base necessities would be great, and hopefully my post will be less ignored than others complaining about the keyboard.

Answer
Options

13 Posts

11-25-2014

Canada

22 Signins

186 Page Views

• Views: 186

Re: Yoga 12 Thinkpad Keyboard lacks efficient keys

2015-06-19, 20:57 PM

Regarding your point 4:

It is an option in the BIOS. Press F1 at boot, go to config and the keyboard/mouse (sorry this is from memory the wording could be different), and enable the swap.

Regarding your point 2:

I am not sure I understand but you will get a different behavior of the left and right ALT keys if you configure a US-international keyboard in Windows for example. Is this what you mean by Alt-Gr? If so then it probably has to do with your keyboard configuration in windows rather than with the Thinkpad.

Mikbik

Replies(5)
Options

5 Posts

06-19-2015

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

2015-06-19, 14:08 PM

Figured out how to change the PrtSc to a Context Menu key.

Just add the Binary value "00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 5D E0 37 E0 00 00 00 00" to "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout"

This swaps out the PrtSc function with the Menu.

Also figured out that the Fn key is not actually a modifier but more of a macro key, if that wording makes sense to anyone.

That is, Fn + F9 = Settings will actually perform Windows + i, this makes me feel like there should be some kind of built-in macro editor available somewhere.

Sadly this also means that I can't figure out the scancode (if there even is one) for the Fn key, in order to switch it around with the Ctrl key or have it as an option for future considerations of 3rd party macro tools.

I've found out that there are a total of 255 scancodes, which should correspond with keys/functions. There are a number of them that are unused, as a keyboard does not have 255 keys or even functions (includes use of modifiers) allotted. Hoping to figure out a way to assign a scancode to a key and bind a function to it, might require some nextlevel bios meddling afairs though.

Things I'm still working out:

-Fn macros: numpad, PrtSc on Fn+Del

-Thought process behind putting a PrtSc where it was

-AltGr not functioning as an AltGr

If anyone has suggestions/help/thoughts/criticism, anything will help and I'm desperate.

Answer
Options

13 Posts

11-25-2014

Canada

22 Signins

186 Page Views

• Views: 186
  • Message 3 of 6

2015-06-19, 20:57 PM

Regarding your point 4:

It is an option in the BIOS. Press F1 at boot, go to config and the keyboard/mouse (sorry this is from memory the wording could be different), and enable the swap.

Regarding your point 2:

I am not sure I understand but you will get a different behavior of the left and right ALT keys if you configure a US-international keyboard in Windows for example. Is this what you mean by Alt-Gr? If so then it probably has to do with your keyboard configuration in windows rather than with the Thinkpad.

Mikbik

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

5 Posts

06-19-2015

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2015-06-20, 21:17 PM

Thanks, I had already found the BIOS option and was about to post it here.

The AltGr key got fixed when I switched to US-international, I didn't know there was a difference between US and US-international.

Still trying to figure out how to get a numpad going though.

Options

5 Posts

06-19-2015

5 Signins

31 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2015-06-26, 9:56 AM

Noteworthy mention is that the user guide says:

"To customize the keyboard, do the following: 1. Go to Control Panel. 2. Click Hardware and Sound ➙ Device Manager ➙ Keyboards ➙ Standard PS/2 keyboard and then follow the instructions on the screen."

Except I don't see any keyboard customisation options in there (nor on-screen instructions to do it), the only options are Driver update/uninstall.

Perhaps this entry in the user manual is a leftover from older models, and might help someone else.

There is apparantly a retired piece of utility software utility software to customise keyboard layouts with:

http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht070531

Sadly this does not include changing the Fn key or the ability to even add numpad function to keys, so it doesn't help me.

Options

1 Posts

11-02-2015

Germany

3 Signins

26 Page Views

• Views: 26
  • Message 6 of 6

2015-11-02, 8:22 AM

Hey hallo,

I am using lenovo thinkpad yoga 12 and i am facing problems regarding touch screen keyboard. when i try to turn my laptop as tablet then touchscreen keypad is not displaying on the screen and i can am not able to write anything. It was working pretty fine in the starting but now i am facing the problem regarding this.

Please can you help me how i can get rid of this issue

Thanks

best regards

Fahad

cheers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms