Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ChasenTheBeers
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,538
Message 1 of 14

Yoga 12/Windows 10 Trackpoint stops working

Hello, 

I have had my yoga 12 for a couple of months now, and I just recently noticed an issue with the Trackpoint. After using the trackpoint for several minutes, 10-20 mins, the trackpoint will stop working. The buttons and touch pad remain functional, however the red trackpoint ceases to function. The only way I have been able to fix it is by rebooting the entire machine. I have searched around and havent seen a clear solution to my issue. My system spec's are listed below. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. 

Product number: 20DL0038US

BIOS: JEET73WW 1.22

OS Build: 10586.318

Synaptic Driver: 19.0.17.54

Guru
Views: 1,494
Message 2 of 14

Re: Yoga 12/Windows 10 Trackpoint stops working

Hi ChasenTheBeers, welcome to the forums.

It seems that you already have the latest BIOS driver and the lastest Trackpoint drivers.

In you case I will only do some trial and error to see what else can be happening:

1) You can try to uninstall the Trackpoint driver from the "Windows Device Manager", reboot and reinstall the driver. Just in case to see if works.

2) When you experience the issue, instead of rebooting the machine, if you sleep or hibernate, did the trackpoint still not working?

3) Just in case, when this issues is happening, check the "Control Panel - Mouse - Trackpoint Options", check if the trackpoint gets disabled from there or what happens if you disable and re-activate it.

If you don't find any progress, I think it can be good for you to open a formal ticket to Lenovo. If the machine is under warranty they will change the defective hardware.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

ChasenTheBeers
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,490
Message 3 of 14

Hello martiniturbide

Thank you for your response. 

1) I have attempted uninstalling and reinstalling the synaptic pointing device driver, it doesnt seem to prevent the issue from occuring

2) The problem does fix it self temporaily when I sleep the machine. However, it seems to stop working more quickly when doing this. 

3) I did check the control panel, and the track pointer option seems to be enabled, as in there is a check in the box. 

honestly, it seems like the pointer works for the longest after I have let it sit over night when sleeping. The only analogy I can think of is its like it is over heating and needs to rest for a couple of hours. I understand that is not actually what is happening, but probably the most relatable way to explain its behavior. 

Per your recommendation, ill probably open up a support case. 

Thanks again for your response. 

ikhan13
What's DOS?
Views: 1,462
Message 4 of 14

Hey! So I have been experiencing the exact same thing for about 3 months with no fix to this issue at all. Being an ex Lenovo employee myself I called tech support and walked through these steps multiple times and there has been fix to this issue. It is very annoying as you must put the PC in sleep mode, or restart in order to get the trackpoint working. I dont understand how even when you esaclate this issue the only thing they say is to send it to a depot. No one over the past year has found a fix for this and Lenovo just ignores the fact that something is wrong with the machine itself.

If you do find a fix, I would love to know!

ChasenTheBeers
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,436
Message 5 of 14

Hey ikhan13

So they did have me send in my machine in. It looks like they replaced the motherboard. The problem seems to have gone away, however I am waiting to celebrate. I feel like the issue didnt immediatly show it self when I first bough the machine. 

Of course, now that they replaced the mother board, my windows product key is invalid. So I have to open a new ticket. sigh....

vireshjain
Paper Tape
Views: 1,373
Message 6 of 14

I have the same problem. In addition to that sometimes even keypad hangs and stops working, I have to use the touchpad to get out of this and then reboot, again it works for sometime and again stops. I am fed up and opened a ticket and they said update the driver but to no avail. They sent a satisfaction survey and I gave them unsatified on all counts but to no affect. Its been the worse decision to have bought a lenovo and that too at such a high price. If any one comes up with a solution please guide and post on this blog. 

JO_3
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,326
Message 7 of 14

Hi, 

I had the same problem. I found a solution that worked for me (Lenovo Yoga 12).

Go to taskmanager  (taskmgr.exe), choose startup tab, and disable FMAPP.exe. Reboot. 

There is apparently an incompability between the realtek sound manager and the mouse drivers after hibernation.

(source and other possible solutions: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/3gtdvs/mouse_keeps_freezing_in_windows_10/)

drskhan
HDMI
Views: 1,066
Message 8 of 14

I am having the same issue and it is driving me nuts when it suddenly freezes and stops responding during my work in hospital. Very frustrating. For a lay perosn like me kindly facilitate what exactly is solution in this regard ?

Any facilitation please Lenovo community ? Are you sure this solution to disable Realtek is going to work ? Pls guide. 

Regards

Dr Khan

Schromok
Paper Tape
Views: 993
Message 9 of 14

I'm also having this problem. It only started recently, in the past couple weeks but none of the trouble shooting works.

I've tried, new drivers, uninstalling and reinstalling, BIOS, disabling the startup, and restarting the computer all did not help.

If I put the computer to sleep then wake it up the TrackPoint will work.

Sometimes it will work for an hour, maybe 2 minutes, no consistency on when it stops working. I suspected Microsoft OneNote but that guess is becoming hard to support as the TrackPoint has stopped working under any circumstance. 

There also seems to be no associated errors in the event log.

I can usually troubleshoot these types of problems, but this one is beyond me.

Guru
Views: 998
Message 10 of 14

Hi drskhan

Did you tried something like updating any firmware or drivers since you got this problem?

Before ruling that it may be  a hardware issue, give it a try updating the driver. The easy way will be to try "Lenovo Companion" and check for any driver update there.

The other way will be to visit the support site of the TPY 12 and install each driver individually.

http://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/Laptops-and-netbooks/ThinkPad-Yoga-Series-laptops/ThinkPa...

Maybe you should try the "Synaptics UltraNav Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad Yoga 12"

I also like to maintain the computer at the lastest BIOS level, just in case check the BIOS level too.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors