Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hathawa
Paper Tape
Views: 681
Message 1 of 4

Yoga 12 trackpoint stops working

The trackpoint on my Yoga 12 frequently stops working. Trackpad and buttons continue to function. I am running the latest drivers.  I just received my machine back from the depot and they just reinstalled Windows 10 and the problem is still occuring.  Whenever it stops I can reinstall the synaptics trackpoint driver and it comes back to life.  Sometimes it is only for a minute other times much longer.  Any ideas?  Thanks in advance.

drskhan
HDMI
Views: 636
Message 2 of 4

Re: Yoga 12 trackpoint stops working

I am having the same issue and it is driving me nuts when it suddenly freezes and stops responding during my work in hospital. Very frustrating. For a lay perosn like me kindly facilitate what exactly is solution in this regard ?

Any facilitation please Lenovo community ?

Regards

Dr Khan

Grantlo
Fanfold Paper
Views: 615
Message 3 of 4

There is a known issue with the trackpad cable that controls the touchpad and trackpoint. There is a small cable that can get pinched on the bracket of the P-sensor wire as it's not insulated enough that causes an intermittent "recognize, not recognize" of the cable due to a small dent caused by the bracket. 

I'd make sure it's gets replaced or you might lose full functionality of the touchpad/trackpoint if it cuts too deep.

Call support and reference 

Document ID: HT116650, Alias ID: SF15-T0095

Yoga 12 pinch.png

Hope that helps. Sorry you're going through the same issue I am, I've had to fix about 300 of these now at my job, so I know your pain. 

dacson
Fanfold Paper
Views: 482
Message 4 of 4

TLDR: Thank you very much for your post, Grantlo, it helped me resolve my problem!

Long story:

I had trackpoint/-pad issues on this model almost since i bought it and Lenovo Support wasn't really able to help me back then, so i just accepted that my device had a flaw and that i shouldn't rely on the trackpoint/-pad to work. So i always carried a mouse with me.

Then i read at some point that an underrrated polyfuse could be the reason. Eventually, someone found out that removing the screw in the center of the basecover (which is close to the cable) can resolve the problem. This indeed did work and i was able to trigger the problem afterwards by applying pressure on the center of the base cover.

Now i had a look at this cable and the underlying bracket really damaged the insulation in the center. I guess this could probably have triggered a polyfuse, if power lines were shorted by the bracket, which would explain why people initially blamed the polyfuse.

I now added a few layers of Kapton-tape as insulation and protection on the underside of the cable and the problem really seems to be resolved. At least i was not able to reproduce it again by applying pressure on the respective area on the base cover.

So again, thank you very much for your post and the image.

Cheers

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors