Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
z1x2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,578
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 14 (Type 20FY) Cannot Boot, No Lenovo Logo

My Yoga 14 ( Type 20FY) cannot boot anymore.  It was fine in the morning, but refused to boot afternoon after being shipped around on a luggage cart.  Now it only lights up the keyboard after power on, and then does nothing, no Lenovo logo, no beep to signal any error.

I had tried the following methods to no avail, draining out onboard battery, pushing the emergency reset hole, disconnecting onboard battery and CMOS battery.  Every time it failed to boot after reconnecting it with AC power.  I also connected it with external monitor over hdmi, but nothing to show up after boot it up.

The machine is configured with multi-boot to several Linux flavors and Windows 10, so I am knowledgeable to be quite sure it is not a software problem.  Please help me!

Guru
Views: 2,502
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 14 (Type 20FY) Cannot Boot, No Lenovo Logo

Hi, welcome to the forum.

If you can not access the BIOS (To access the BIOS tap rapidly or press and hold F1 immediately upon turning on the power.), I also agree it is a hardware issue.

The easy way to go is open a ticket to Lenovo, and they will check the machine. If it is under warranty it will be covered, if not they will tell you the cost on how to fix it. If you know about computers you can grab the "Hardware Maintenance Manual" and change the parts yourself, but it is hard to know which part is the one failing.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

z1x2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,495
Message 3 of 9

Thank you very much for trying to help me!

I tried F1 thing you mentioned and it didn't help. I think Lenovo logo shows before the start of BIOS. I also took the back cover out and checked DIMM, SSD and all possible connections. Nothing changed.

I had opened a ticket already. Thanks!
DanielM1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,484
Message 4 of 9

I have the exact same problem, already replaced the mainboard two times, still the same error.

Any solutions so far?

z1x2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,480
Message 5 of 9

@DanielM1 wrote:

I have the exact same problem, already replaced the mainboard two times, still the same error.

Any solutions so far?

That is exactly what worries me.  Mine is 3 months beyond warranty and I wonder how much they are going to charge me for replacing a motherboard?  If it costs $150 or more, I may just give up on this machine/brand.

DanielM1
What's DOS?
Views: 2,463
Message 6 of 9

I finally fixed it on my end, after everyone told me to change the mainboard, plug off the Battery and all these tips, i just exchanged the memory and now it's working again
z1x2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,449
Message 7 of 9

@DanielM1 wrote:
I finally fixed it on my end, after everyone told me to change the mainboard, plug off the Battery and all these tips, i just exchanged the memory and now it's working again

Acting on your experience, I pulled my memory out, which is PC3L, and put it into an old laptop that uses PC3 memory.  Most people online said you can do that.

But Windows 7 on that laptop failed to start with a blue screen even BIOS recognized the memory.  Put it on Linux memory-test and the testing program crashed.

I had ordered a used exactly same model PC3L-12800S-11-13-F3 memory for $41, and will report here once it arrives and is tested out.  Thanks!

z1x2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,419
Message 8 of 9

Exactly same model RAM arrived, and nothing changed after I installed it.  I had sent the machine to Lenovo/IBM for repairing, and will report the results.

z1x2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 2,353
Message 9 of 9

Lenovo/IBM called, my laptop's motherboard needs to be replaced because they cannot tell which part of it went wrong. It will cost me about $540. I bought it for about $600.

It is so absurd that they ask consumers to pay for their obvious motherboard defects. They should recall this model and similar ones.

Holiday Deals
HAPPENING NOW!

Get the best deals on PCs and tech now during the Holiday Sale
Shop the sale

Top Kudoed Authors