Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
phughes200
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,609
Message 1 of 2

Yoga 260 wont turn on

- I have ThinkPad Yoga 260 (20FES0LQ00).

- Power button does nothing.

- Plugging the charger does nothing..

- Hit the reset button on bottom. No change.

Any ideas on how to best troubleshoot this?

My guess is 1) bad power switch (not sure how likely that is), 2) shorted battery (seems highly unlikely) and 3) bad motherboard.

Additional questions:

1) If I buy a used motherboard, will I need a new copy of Windows 10? Isn't the windows key stored on the motherboard so I would that key still work?

2) Can I upgrade to an I7? The currents system has a I5-6200U. Is it worth it? It appears that both use the same heat sink.

3) There is an listing on EBay for the same sytem I have (same type, different version) without a hard drive. Can I just install my drive in the new system without buying and installing a new copy of windows? 

Help!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,599
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga 260 wont turn on

That's a lot of questions.  

First, are you still under warranty?  Some have a 3-year warranty, and if that is the case, call support and skip the rest of my answer.

If it were mine, I would unplug the unit and remove the bottom cover.  Disconnect the battery and press the power button a couple of times to drain capacitors.  I would plug it in with the bottom cover removed and battery disconnected, and try again.  If it works, unplug and try again with the battery connected.  If it won't start, than the battery is the likely problem.  If it doesn't start even with the battery disconnected, I would disconnect the cmos battery and wait 30 seconds.  Reconnect the CMOS battery, plug it in and see if it starts.  This will require you to reset the date and time, and will cause problrms if you have a suprevisor (BIOS) password and do not know what it is.  If it is working, after you disconnect the cmos battery, it will start the first time without hitting the power button, so set the date and time and then try turning it off.  That should tell you if the power button is working.  Hopefully, pulling the cmos battery will reset enough so it will start and work.  If it is still dead you probably need a motherboard.  The windows license is tied to the board, so a replacement board started with windows 10 as long as the board had the same edition licensed as your old one.  (home or pro)  You can go from an i5 to an i7.  Usually, a CPU upgrade is the least cost-effective kind of upgrade, although it depends on what work you do.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors