Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Alwin74
Not applicable
Views: 1,159
Message 1 of 9

Yoga 370 (20JH) and USB-C dock (40A9) issue during WinPE10

Hi There I am new to this forum and could not find an answer to my question so here it goes...

I need to deploy an automated image to a Yoga 370 (20JH) with the use of the USB-C dock (type 40A9).

This is because the WinPE (windows 10 Pro 1709) environment is only accessible through LAN.

I have found WinPE drivers on the website, and also some BIOS settings wich could affect the success of this automated installation but....

Whatever I try the deployment always stalls at the same point. I know it is driver related, but after some time trail and erroring I am about to give up. Please help!

The Yoga 370 is connected to the usb-c dock, which is in turn connected to LAN.

The bios is set to UEFI only, secure boot is disabled.

When the Yoga boots to network the bootfile is loaded.

I can see the default windows "loading files" bar appearing, and the the windows logo shows.

There it stalls. (normally a circle appears after this loading windows... but it does not show)

I have no issues installing a T570 (20H9) or M710q (10MR) for example.

Only the combination of Yoga and dock refuse to get deployed.

Does somebody know which driver set to use in the WinPE phase?

I run out of options

pjorgensen
Not applicable
Views: 1,127
Message 2 of 9

Re: Yoga 370 (20JH) and USB-C dock (40A9) issue during WinPE10

have you tried adding this driver to your boot image?  what tool are you using to deploy?

Alwin74
Not applicable
Views: 1,112
Message 3 of 9

Yes I have tried this driver. The boot stalls at the same point. Also in the Yoga bios there are options to enable/disable thunderbolt docks and usb docks. I have tried it with the thunderbolt enabeld and disabled, leaving the usb dock always enabled. This driver version is from 20 oct 2016. I have also tried it with a version from 5th may 2017 and november 2017 to no luck.

I am using KACE SDA from Quest (formerly Dell). It's a total deployment solution. It does not provide me with detailed logging Smiley Sad 

pjorgensen
Not applicable
Views: 1,093
Message 4 of 9

i was able to PXE boot to PE 1709 with this dock.  i did, however, have to enable the following two options in BIOS:

Config > Thunderbolt 3 > Support in Pre Boot Environment - Thunderbolt device (Enabled),USB device (Enabled)

I also didn't have to add any drivers to my boot image since there's native driver support for this chipset in the dock.  can you make sure the BIOS settings above are enabled?

Highlighted
Alwin74
Not applicable
Views: 1,091
Message 5 of 9

The mentioned options are enabled by default. When I boot to network straight out of the box it will not boot to winpe.

First I have to disable secure boot.

With thunberbold and usb enabled in the preboot environment and secure boot disabled I can boot to WinPE, but as soon as the logo shows all comes to a halt.

The bios version in use is 1.19

pjorgensen
Not applicable
Views: 1,089
Message 6 of 9

you mentioned you've deployed T570's and M710q's successfully.  were those systems set to legacy or UEFI boot? are you using WDS to PXE boot or another solution?

Alwin74
Not applicable
Views: 1,086
Message 7 of 9

The systems are set to UEFI boot, secure boot disabled. PXE boot.

They deploy without any problems.

I use KACE SDA. It's sort of a non microsoft WDS solution.

I just have set the Yoga to boot PXE, legacy (no UEFI)

Change the bootfilename in dhcp to do legacy boot.

Boot PXE.

Boot default windows 10 mage.

It loads fine. Network available and storage also.

I can deploy in an old fashioned way.

Changed the BIOS to boot UEFI, secure boot disabled.

Changed bootfile in dhcp to do uefi boot.

boot pxe.

boot default windows 10 image.

stalls as soon as the windows 10 logo shows....

pjorgensen
Not applicable
Views: 1,080
Message 8 of 9

first off, you need to move away from DHCP options.  if you're PXE booting legacy and UEFI devices and statically setting the NBP in the DHCP option, you're limiting the client from obtaining the correct boot file, which appears to be happening in your situation.  microsoft doesn't even support this method.

highly recommended to talk to your network team and have them configure an ip helper that points to the ip of your KACE box.  also, if you're trying to deploy windows 10, there's no reason the system should be configured for legacy boot.  it's designed to use UEFI with secure boot.

Alwin74
Not applicable
Views: 1,074
Message 9 of 9

Thanks for your concern! As far as I know, DHCP handles the boot file and server adress to handle a PXE request and just gives the client an server and bootfile to use. 

In the meantime I have configured a WDS server. Took the same image to deploy and the default windows 10 boot image.

Changed the answer file a little to meet WDS...

Changed DHCP.

The deployment just runs smoothly using WDS......  !!!!!!

Never thought it could be the KACE SDA I am using..... but that is the cause for some reason.

I want to thank you for you efforts and swift replies on my messages !

Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors