Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
TSP-Matt
Paper Tape
Views: 139
Message 1 of 1

Yoga 370 + Thunderbolt 3 Dock Charging Issues

Hi all, I do tech support at a university that uses various Lenovo notebooks across campus. I have noticed a trend among the users that have a Thinkpad Yoga 370 Notebook and are using a Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock, myself included. Occasionally (every few weeks or so), one of the affected systems will show "plugged in, not charging" tooltip when hovering over the battery tray icon. When this happens, the charge indicator light by the charging port and Thunderbolt port does not turn on, the battery continues to drain, and unplugging the Thunderbolt cable and either plugging it (or the regular power cable) back into the notebook has no effect. These systems all use Lenovo System Update to keep their drivers and BIOS up to date, and I have updated the firmware on the Thunderbolt 3 Docks manually.

This issue was brought to my attention because it started happening to me and my laptop/dock after the first few weeks of having it, and this behavior continued to happen for months. I would constantly be plugging in and unplugging my laptop, as I do on-site support in several buildings, and my laptop goes everywhere with me. In October I stopped using my dock entirely, and since then have had 0 problems when just using the laptop's regular charging cable. I have 3 or 4 other users whom I support that have this issue though; due to the sheer volume of documents they need open at once, they need a multi-monitor setup and ethernet ports, so not having a dock is not an option. Again, all of their drivers and firmware are up to date.

My current workaround for this problem is to restart the computer, open the BIOS, go to the power settings, and selecting the "Disconnect the Internal Battery" option; once I've done that, the battery begins charging normally again and the indicator light comes on. The other workaround is pretty much to just let the laptop battery run out of charge. Both options are inconvenient, and the users I support are generally not comfortable messing around in the BIOS settings (even when provided instructions).

As such, has anyone else has dealt with this issue? All of my searches on this topic haven't brought up any solutions since it started happening, so I'm hoping someone here may have an idea as to what is going on. One thing to note, all of these are university-managed laptops, so the only Lenovo software installed is System Update; in addition, the Windows Store is disabled, so grabbing any apps from there is not an option. Please let me know if you have any insight or fixes into the issue, and I'm happy to do troubleshooting with any of the affected systems. Thanks!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors