Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
unanon
Paper Tape
Views: 727
Message 1 of 3

Yoga 370 trickle discharging while plugged into docking station

Hi,

I procured a Lenovo Yoga 370 about 6 months ago. Aside from some of the lenovo software randomly crashing on me due to whatever bugs exist in the s/w, it's been working pretty well... until recently. About two months ago, I bought a Type 40AC docking station, which comes with a large power adapter. I was able to use both of those successfully for a month+.

About three weeks ago, the power started trickle discharging, even while plugged into the docking station. The battery discharges at a rate of about 8% per hour. When the problem started, the laptop would also avoid charging while plugged directly into the wall (no docking station). However, by disconnecting the internal and bios batteries and running the static discharge sequence (which I had learned about because my previous lenovo laptop also had a power issue :/), I was able to at least get the laptop to charge when plugged in directly to the wall.

I've called lenovo tech support 3-4 times about this issue. To their credit, as part of the troubleshooting process, they've replaced the motherboard, replaced the battery, replaced the docking station, ushered me to install the latest power management drive (which I did), flash my motherboard bios (which I did but was silly, because it was a "new" motherboard), and flash my docking station (which I did but was silly, because it was a "new" docking station). I also tried another large power adapter that I use on a power-hungry lenovo laptop. However, the laptop is still unable to charge while plugged into the docking station.

Throughout this, Lenovo Vantage/Settings has always reported the battery's health as good.

I'm trying to avoid depot'ing the laptop. It's my daily driver, and it's going to be difficult for me to setup all of my s/w on a temporary machine. Any ideas on how to fix it?

~Thanks~

PS -- I saw the below related thread, but I wasn't able to fully implement its solution. I did update my drivers in Lenovo Vantage. And I think my Power Mgmt Driver is at least 1.67.14.04. However, I couldn't find the Thunderbolt 3 Driver and USB-C dock Driver on the support page. And then I uninstalled Lenovo Vantage, thinking that I'd try reinstalling it to see if it found anything else to update. But the Windows store reports a Code 0x80073CF8 error when trying to (re)install Lenovo Vantage.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Yoga-370-quot-Plugged-in-but-not-chargi...

====================================

Beginning of ranting

PPS -- Really dislike the fact that when I call in that I get told about 50 times to go to the website or whatever other nonsense the recorded voices are spouting. Every time a fake voice comes on, my brain stops what it's doing so it can courteously attend to the person on the other line. This makes it hard to get stuff done while sitting on hold for 15 minutes. Please just leave the music -- maybe with interruptions once every two minutes with a _single_ person's voice. It's a double whammy to have a problem and then get loudly harassed by automatic voices while on hold.

PPPS -- As I try to enable different Lenovo website features, I now have three Lenovo accounts. Can't the accounts be unified across the Lenovo website?

End of ranting

unanon
Paper Tape
Views: 723
Message 2 of 3

Re: Yoga 370 trickle discharging while plugged into docking station

Found the thunderbolt driver, which has an update yesterday.  Will report back if it works.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/monitors-and-projectors/docks/thinkpad-thunderbolt-3-doc...

unanon
Paper Tape
Views: 694
Message 3 of 3

Re: Yoga 370 trickle discharging while plugged into docking station

Updating the thunderbolt driver did not work.

Also, I forgot to mention that I also tried someone else's thunderbolt 3 cable.

We're moving

To a new platform very soon

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors