Highlighted
Honorary_BoT
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,091
Message 1 of 10

Yoga S1 Touchpad Issues

Hi everyone!

I've got following problems:

1. The trackpoint stops working once I touch a touchpad. After reboot, the trackpoint works fine, but once I touch a touchpad again, it stops.

2. If there is a heavy-used usb device (like copying files from flash drive) touchpad is lagging so hard, not even funny.

Is there anything can be done with those?

Thanks in advance!

Honorary_BoT
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,084
Message 2 of 10

Re: Yoga S1 Touchpad Issues

Update:

Seems like trackpoint stops working after clicking the touchpad, not just touching.

jc-createlli
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 872
Message 3 of 10

Is Lenovo taking care of this issue? I've seen several requests around the touchpad becoming unresponsive, but no effective solution. I've tested them all since January 2015 !
Would the Lenovo support kindly indicate whether we can hope for a fix soon? Would installing Windows 10 bring a relief?

Dignan1443
Paper Tape
Views: 862
Message 4 of 10

Windows 10 does not fix this trackpad issue.  I installed it last night and the trackpad still locks up all the time.  This is a major bummer.  I can't even use the laptop now without a mouse connected.

Lenovo support is sending me a whole new keyboard bezel that includes a new trackpad so I'll update here if it works. I have my doubts that a new one will work though,  since the trackpad works fine when I run linux on my machine.

EDIT-  actually,  my trackpad does lock up under Linux.  I just tested it out again.  

jc-createlli
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 847
Message 5 of 10

Thanks for the info. I'd be curious to see if changing the keyboard helps. I believe it's rather a driver issue. And it even seems to escape Lenovo's span of control, as other brands suffer the same issue with the Synaptics touchpad-trackpad. Changing to another provider might be an option for the next Lenovo Yoga?

Guru
Views: 814
Message 6 of 10

On my S1, and I have a new one, this problem does not happen. Did you try all the settings related to these issues? If it locks it must be either due to some settings, unwaranted third party app, or system is overloaded. You did all scans for spyware, virus, etc. like windows defender just to be on the safe side? You tried looking around in BIOS?

Btw. Is there any option to reset  the computer back to factory settings?

If the answer is interesting press the star below to give Kudos.

If your question is answered you can click ''accept as solution".

Dignan1443
Paper Tape
Views: 760
Message 7 of 10

ok I have an update for everyone with this issue.  I received my new keyboard panel bezel in the mail after about 2 weeks and installed it myself.  It's been 24 hours now and the touchpad has yet to lock up,  whereas before it would lock up within 5 minutes.  I think it's safe to say the new bezel fixed it.  The Synaptics touchpad controller IC is located in the bezel so perhaps it really is a hardware problem. 

It took about 3.5 hours to install,  snice EVERYTHING has to be taken out:  the hard drive,  solid state drive,  wireless card,  battery,  motherboard, a few fpcbs, keyboard mechanism,  LCD panel.  Luckily Lenovo has a manual available on their website for doing these types of repairs.  I think Lenovo would install it as well,  but I didn't feel like erasing everything off my computer and then sending it in for a few weeks.  I opted to just do it myself. 

jc-createlli
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 705
Message 8 of 10

I PASTED HERE THE TEXT FOR THE LENOVO SUPPORT, AS THEIR SYSTEM DOESN'T ALLOW MORE THAN 1000 CHARACTERS. I'LL CREATE MY SUPPORT TICKET AND MAKE A LINK TO HERE.

Dear Lenovo Support,

Let me give you my feedback about my customer experience, and make a proposal to bring a final resolution to my technical problem. (i.e. -> well yes, my PC is not fixed)

First: score to UPS -> 0

For sending the package: UPS doesn't come for the pick-up on the agreed day, while I made special arrangements to stay home. The next day, despite I told them I'd not be home, they still come by, and leave a note in the letter box. The next day, I again make a special arrangement to day home (and believe me, that's really hard!), and I see the truck turning the corner when I open the door. Just the time for me to come down from the second floor ! The guy went back 6 hours later, and told me he had an urgent delivery to the hospital, that's why he didn't wait more than 45 seconds.

For the return trip: Same kind of story. I receive a notice about a planned delivery on the Monday. No one on Monday. Next day, an email telling me that they will try later on. But on the very same day at 18:05, a new email tells me the package has been delivered and signed by a certain Mr Dellis. I was actually not back home, so I wondered who actually took delivery. On that same evening, I go to a few houses in my street, searching for anyone called Dellis. I finally write to the UPS customer support, and they tell me that Mr Dellis is someone at a shop nearby. The next day, I manage to come earlier and go to the shop, but I'm told there is an issue with the bar code, and I can't take the package. The women tells me she will reach out to the customer service the next day. So, one day later, I'm back to the shop, and I'm then told I still can't take delivery. It's 18:02, and the UPS customer service is closed. I then roll on the floor drooling with rage. (No, not really, but I really wanted to). The officer finally reaches someone, who gives the authorization to let me go with the package, saying that the issue with the bar code will be fixed internally later on.

I try to cool down and find some comfort in picturing a fully working PC... which turns out to have the exact same issue as nearly two weeks before !

Second: the next steps

1) Let's both forget about UPS. Don't ever dare to tell me about UPS.

2) Arrange for a technician to call me and connect to my pc remotely. We have useful tools such as Skype nowadays. That'll be easy. I'm still not convinced it's a hardware problem. I need someone to look at the drivers, settings, and whatever relevant config. As a reminder, the mouse cursor freezes as soon as I click on the trackpad. It still works with an external mouse, though. And yes, I made all possible updates to latest drivers, bios. I uninstalled first, I entered safe mode, I prayed, in all possible orders, to no avail.

3) If step 2 doesn't work out, then let's go for the standard exchange: I keep the hard drive, and we put it in a new Lenovo Yoga S1 (product ref. 20CD00EAMH). If really, nobody from Lenovo can come and do it for me, just send me a new PC without the hard drive, and I'll do it.

I really trust Lenovo. I've been using Lenovo PC's for almost 10 years now. And you know what, I even bought a Lenovo Yoga 3 the day before the planned UPS pick-up, so that I can keep on working on a professional PC. I can only believe that's bad luck, and that I have no lasting reason to be bitterly disappointed.

With hope,

jc-createlli
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 654
Message 9 of 10

Just for info of those following this thread, I've been instructed to relaunch the factory installer. Seems indeed the last resort attempt.
Not sure when I'll have the time, though. It also raises a lot of questions about my software licenses, and free upgrade to Windows 10, which may not be free anymore by the time...

Typpendahl
Fanfold Paper
Views: 591
Message 10 of 10

What if it is A mechanical issue e.g. with a hinge? Software-wise I have carried out every procedure introduced on this forum. I will be in contact with the service tomorrow to see if they have a clue about the problem...

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors