Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
klrtunz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 766
Message 1 of 2

Yoga S3 Yoga 14 i5-4210U upgrade options

I have a S3 Yoga 14 with i5-4210U Haswell CPU & GeForce 840M (Model# 20DM000VUS). I've searched and searched for any solution to upgrade the memory to 16GB, but seems only the Broadwell version can...so I'm stuck with 8GB.  I already upgraded to a 1TB Evo 850 SSD which did boost overall speed a lot, but running out of memory all the time is driving me nuts.

So my question is, is it possible to swap out the whole motherboard to a i5-5200U Broadwell version without any HW/SW conflict issues so I could upgrade to 16GB?  Or can you only swap for the exact same MB?  It'd be a lot cheaper than buying a whole new Yoga w/dedicated graphics such as the P40 and way less hassle as long as I wouldn't need to reinstall Windows and everything. Thanks!

Guru
Views: 716
Message 2 of 2

Re: Yoga S3 Yoga 14 i5-4210U upgrade options

Hi.

I think that a DDR3L 16GB Memory may work on your TPY14 machine, but I have never tried it by myself, plus the official parts numbers does not list a 16GB Memory between the approved parts.

https://support.lenovo.com/uu/en/solutions/pd100338

If you have a change to test and return if it does not work a DDR3L 16GB module, maybe that is the best option.

I think it will be to hard and costly to try to replace all the mainboard.

Regards

Martín Itúrbide
OS2World.com NewsMaster
Self-proclaimed Trackpoint Fan Club President
"Don't Panic" 
Wil Wheaton
Remember: Your Friend Wil Declares....
Please click "Kudos" for Ego Boost !!

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors