Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
TheChazz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 408
Message 1 of 10

adding touchpad features - disable when USB mouse present

I am missing a feature on this ThinkPad Yoga 260 that is found in all other ThinkPad's that I have used in recent history...disabling touchpad input when a USB mouse is present. It drives me nuts.

Doing a little Registry digging (Windows 10), there is a DWORD value in HKEY_CurrentUser/Software/Elantech/OtherSetting/DisableWhenDetectUSBMouse, but it doesn't work, and the touchpad/stick is permanently disabled, presumably because there is also pen input on this model?

Is there a way to ask Lenovo for this feature to be worked on in the next driver version of the ELAN Touchpad? I know Synaptics usually had it, but this has an ELAN-manufactured touchpad.

Guru
Views: 383
Message 2 of 10

Re: adding touchpad features - disable when USB mouse present

If you do this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rfwR-IV-c

You'll have the option you're looking for within Windows settings within "touchpad settings". The video will have you switch your current drivers for Windows Precision ones, which are much better anyway.
TheChazz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 368
Message 3 of 10

This is awesome! totally makes it better, and disables the trackpad on external mouse connection.

I am trying to narrow down an input freezing issue when the laptop is on battery, I'm hoping it was a driver issue.
Guru
Views: 354
Message 4 of 10

If it insists then it may be an issue related to your battery settings. Your CPU is usually put at a lower clock speed in order to preserve battery life. So things can be slower overall and when you try to doing something even slightly CPU intensive, you'll feel a "stutter" as the CPU goes from a low clock speed to a higher one.

You can change these things in your battery settings, though know that there are VARIOUS settings to change.

Glad the issue is resolved though!

TheChazz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 349
Message 5 of 10

Yeah this is a wierd issue. See my other thread:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-S-Series-ThinkPad-Yoga/Yoga-260-all-mouse-inputs-freeze-random...

I've been on battery for about 30 minutes now after making the Precision Touchpad driver mod, no freezing yet. We'll see....

Guru
Views: 342
Message 6 of 10

If it stays that way then great! Your laptop may update at some point and will likely reinstall the newest trackpad drivers (which you don't want).

While this hasn't happened to me (it's only happened to my audio drivers!), you can go to where your trackpad driver's folder and change the permissions on it so only you can edit or delete it - just to be safe.

Reading your other thread also implies to me that it's more of a CPU issue (with it running on a lower clock speed to preserve battery life). But if it's working fine now then I wouldn't worry about it unless the issue comes back. At that point, let me know here and I'll give you some suggestions on the other thread.

EDIT: Possible Windows Precision drivers don't take as much of a toll on the CPU as Elan/Synaptic drivers. Anyway, do let me know if it stutters again.

TheChazz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 324
Message 7 of 10

Appreciate the support for sure. One other anomalie I faced with my particular device (ThinkPad Yoga 380) is with the Wacom inputs. Initially, installing the Precision drivers did not allieviate the issue.

Under Mouse and Pointing Devices within Device Manager, I had a total of three "mouse devices"

- The Elan Device

- HID-Compliant Mouse (ELAN PTP something or other)

- HID-Compliant Mouse (Wacom Pen)

So when I set the touchpad to turn off when another mouse was connected, it never came back on becuase those two other "HID-Compliant Mouse" devices were there, so Windows always thought a mouse was plugged in, even though none actually were.

To fix that, I had to update the driver to HID-Compliant Device (not mouse) for the ELAN one, and then download the Wacom drivers for the pen (http://us.wacom.com/en/feeldriver/). Restart the machine and then update the last HID-Compliant Mouse (Wacom Pen) to the Wacom HID-Compliant Device. Voila, the touchpad enabling/disabling works like a charm.

Amazing what we have to go through for decent drivers, thanks Lenovo Smiley Wink

Guru
Views: 303
Message 8 of 10

Nice, glad you were able to handle it.

And to be fair, this isn't exactly an issue with Lenovo. Most laptops come without Windows Precision drivers. The drivers that come as default are ones that'll play nice with eachother and are known to work for most situations. Sometimes, like with your Wacom Pen, that obviously isn't the case, but I'm sure your driver combo probably wouldn't work in some other situation.

This is simply the result of having several parts from different manufacturers, as most (if not all) Windows computers/laptops are.
TheChazz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 301
Message 9 of 10

I see. It’s just an inconsistent feature across their product line. 

Either way, the laptop had another input freeze just now (browsing a website), so I opened a support ticket as the unit is still under warranty. Never had any other laptop act like this on battery. 

Guru
Views: 276
Message 10 of 10

I'll reply to this on your other thread.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors