Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
syrahnose
Punch Card
Views: 1,992
Message 1 of 6

wifi only connecting within airplane mode, windows 10

Wifi only connecting through airplane mode, windows 10

After working normally for months, suddenly my Thinkpad X1 Yoga’s wifi stopped seeing my local router or 6 other connections. Normal troubleshooting, rebooting router etc, didn’t work. Device manager showed latest driver and Intel dual band ac 8265 driver 20.50.1.1 working properly, uninstalled anyway and reinstall, no change.

I read about people having conficts with airplane mode. I turned on airplane mode and opened up wifi within that mode. Both WF and AP boxes lit up and wifi connected to my normal home router.

If I turn off AP box the Wifi shuts down with no connections, turn on again and still no connections. If I turn off the Wifi box, wifi shuts down. I then have to turn AP back on, then go through network and connections to turn on wifi again, and it connects to my local router.

This suggests a software problem? Any suggestions?

Microsoft, I see, has been asked about this problem repeatedly in 2011 all the way up to last month, and doesn’t seem to have any real solutions past rebooting and reinstalling driver, which do not work.

MrNick
What's DOS?
Views: 1,740
Message 2 of 6

Re: wifi only connecting within airplane mode, windows 10

I've had the same issue with my ThinkPad Yoga 14 for the past couple of weeks. 

The issue was fixed when I performed a Windows 10 reset. This fix lasted a couple of days, but after restarting my computer the issue occured again. 

Have you had any success with fixing this issue?

syrahnose
Punch Card
Views: 1,736
Message 3 of 6

No change. I limp along doing the same work around fix. I haven't done a reset. If you've done one, it implies something other than windows software doesn't it? 

MrNick
What's DOS?
Views: 1,725
Message 4 of 6

Okay, so I've been playing around with my laptop and I found another fix that seems to be holding strong sinse yesterday. 

I opened up device manager and went to "Firmware"

Under Firmware was two items labeled "Device Firmware" and "System Firmware" 

I right clicked and selected "Update Driver" on "System Firmware"

It took several minute but it found and installed an updated driver.

"System Firmware" is now showing up as "ThinkPad Yoga460 System Firmware 1.52"

I restared my PC and now the issue seems to be gone

This firmware didn't show up in Windows Update for me

If device manager can't find an up to date firmware, I would check out the support page for your laptop and see if you can find firmware utility or something. 

I will also say I updated my BIOS at the same time, but I don't think that is what fixed the issue

davoam
What's DOS?
Views: 1,286
Message 5 of 6

Hi! In my case turning off Bluetooth helped (btw, when airplane mode is enabled, Bluetooth is being disabled automatically). I don't know why but it seems that enabled Bluetooth cause such a problem

Highlighted
Yellow29
What's DOS?
Views: 1,092
Message 6 of 6

Yay this worked for me! Thanks so much.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors