Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lenovochobo
Punch Card
Views: 1,431
Message 1 of 12

eGPU and Thinkpad T25

I've searched and haven't found an answer. 

I was about to integrate my T25 into my desktop arrangement with external monitor via an Aorus 1070 gaming box that I had used for my Miix 720 (that I had before the T25). Lo and behold, the eGPU is not detected. I've done bios firmware update, thunderbolt firmware update, removed windows update 1709 by a reset and reinstalled from scratch (that took ages and came up with BSOD with bootdevice not found, and finding out that bitlocker was on by default), disabled internal NVIDIA card etc etc

TLDR I can't get the Aorus eGPU to be detected. It provides power but no graphics, no external display. 

I see that some people with p50s were having problems.

lenovochobo
Punch Card
Views: 1,374
Message 2 of 12

Re: eGPU and Thinkpad T25

I've done more fiddling. Browsing various websites including one Akitio Node troubleshooting page - they advised updating in a particular sequence - Bios, TB software and then TB firmware. Usually when I open up the TB software there is nothing showing to be connected, but when doing the firmware update, the command/ terminal window comes up and a line says that it's forcing the controller to switch on. And then TB port 1 appears, it stays throughout the whole firmware upgrade. And then the sytem reboots, and the TB software will show no attached device again, whether or not I plug in the TB3 cable for the eGPU or not. So an improvement. Maybe I need to use a generic TB firmware, not one specific to TB25 which may be hobbled?

lenovochobo
Punch Card
Views: 1,368
Message 3 of 12

Okay. Something happened.

I read a bit more, one google search found some people discussing different firmwares for different machines even though supposedly they had the same hardware. Some of the profiles supported eGPUs, whilst other didn't. So I was thinking, quite naturally, if I could install one of these other firmwares on my TP25. I also noticed that the other firmwares required you to plug in the TB3 cable/ device in whilst updating the firmwares, whilst the thinkpad one specifically tells you to NOT plug in the device.

So I go try the firmware update again to make sure that it says that the tb3 should be unplugged. So it does, and so I cancel the update. Now the TB device is still switched on by the update software (see above) so I can see it in the TB software - it tells me that the software is 17.1.64.250 and the controller is 15BF, and most importantly eGPU is supported.

I go to device manager - the TB controller has never been visible - supposedly it lives in 'system devices'. But I read (yes, I"m a newbie) that you can make it show hidden devices. And lo, there is a TB controller but looking up on properties, it says that device is not connected. So I connect and reconnect the cable, and also uplug and plug in the power supply. And wow, something happens - it tells me a new device is detected. Now before you say that it was all about the power cable - no, it wasn't because I've unplugged/ plugged it in many times before and also the TB3 cable from the gaming box has always provided power to charge the Thinkpad. 

So anyway, I get it to install drivers for the Microsoft Basic display adapter and it tells me that I have a GTX 1070 after reboot! There was a high def audio device that had an exclamation mark in device manager, but another reboot installed more drivers and the external display (plugged into the displayport of the gaming box) comes into life and the audio device now has drivers. And fingers crossed, it all seems to be working...

What happened? I'm not sure. 

lenovochobo
Punch Card
Views: 1,367
Message 4 of 12

Okay, still not perfect. Internal 940MX is disabled.

I closed the lid of the Thinkpad to go and have a cup of tea. When I came back and opened the lid, the external display didn't come on and in device manager the GTX 1070 was disabled with a 'windows found a problem' error. I went through unplugging/ plugging in power supply and rebooting without success, changed to HDMI, no joy. 

Now, it's working again. Temperamental, hopefully it means it's a driver issue and not hardware problem, especially the Aorus.

lenovochobo
Punch Card
Views: 1,349
Message 5 of 12

So left overnight with lid closed (which puts machine to sleep). On waking up the machine, the eGPU has a triangle in device manager and isn't working. But this time, it's a simple unplug-plug of the TB cable and it's recognized again. I installed Tekken 7 last thing before bed last night, and played it at Ultra settings with no problem except that I couldn't send it to the external display, it kept wanting to be displayed on the internal. So not perfect but getting there.

Of course, I'll then hear from another T25 owner that they never had problems with their eGPU Smiley Happy

lenovochobo
Punch Card
Views: 1,318
Message 6 of 12

Merry Christmas.

And things seem stable (touch wood) even with the integrated Nvidia 940MX left enabled. I tested Tekken 7 on the 940MX and got 30ish fps on medium settings instead of the 60fps on ultra settings with the 1070. So that's a nice demonstration of the difference.

I'm not a huge gamer. I bought the eGPU in part due to it's docking capabilities - it can charge the TP25, it provides extra ports and supports several external displays. I'm thinking of a 4K curved monitor.

eugene19
What's DOS?
Views: 1,252
Message 7 of 12

Good to see a fellow T25 user succeed with an eGPU. I'm also a proud T25 owner considering an eGPU. I already have an old Nvidia GeForce 750 Ti, but I'm wondering whether it would be of any use considering that the T25 may only utilize x2 lanes for the eGPU instead of the full x4 lanes.

rodrisanz
Fanfold Paper
Views: 921
Message 8 of 12

Hi - How would you rate the Gaming Box’s performance as a dock? For example:

Are USB connections reliable?

is it quiet when not gaming?

Does it enhance Windows 10 desktop experience? 

I  currently use Lenovo’s Thunderbolt 3 Dock with my X1 carbon 5th generation. The dock works perfectly, but I need more graphics horsepower.

I am considering the Gaming Box and Lenovo’s new Thunderbolt Graphics Dock. Need eGPU’s functionality as a dock to be as good as the TB3 dock though. 

Thanks!

Highlighted
lenovochobo
Punch Card
Views: 917
Message 9 of 12

When the Gaming box works, it's fine - sometimes it isn't detected anymore after a long sleep etc and I have to unplug the power cord/ TB3 cable, maybe even restart to get the TP25 to recognise it again. This seems to be a problem with the TP rather than the Gaming box as I had a different lenovo machine (the surface pro clone, I forget its name!) which worked perfectly with the box.

The USBs work fine, the charging one is good for quick charging device and the USBC/TB3 cable can charge the TP quickly. The small back fan is pretty much on all the time and can give an annoying rather than truly noisy whirr. The fan on the GPU is actually quieter even in full tilt. I only really play the occasional game of Tekken 7 and I can play at ultra detail and get 60fps. 

I would probably use the whole set up (TP25 as well as the gaming box with external monitor) more if I didn't already have a Macbook pro 2016 edition with 2 external monitors and a stack of TB RAID enclosures as my daily user.

Sigurd4Warp
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 425
Message 10 of 12

For me the Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 Graphics Dock works very fine! Everything is supported, external Montiors etc etc etc. But it is "Only" a 1050GTX and with the Nvidia Software I can switch wich GPU I would like to use.

Top Kudoed Authors