09-16-2008

Urbana, IL

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 1 of 4

A complicated problem for my new;y-bought T400

2008-09-16, 13:19 PM
I got my T400 last Frday. I devided the hard disk into several parts, and SE_Preload disk is C. And others are E,F,G, etc. Everything was OK except yesterday. I seemed to have met a software problem and I couldn't get in my Windows Vista. So I decided to use Rescue & Recovery to restore the computer to factory content. However, after recovery, things became worse. When I got into Vista. Everything was different. The C disk turned out to be G. That means all the system and software are not usable, since they can't find the right path. Even the recovery software can't work. Can anyone tell me what I should do to solve this problem. I called support center, but all the people there seemed too busy, and I can't get to them. I'm really worried since I'm in a hurry. Thank you very much!
Options

9 Posts

09-08-2008

Ohio, USA

19 Signins

288 Page Views

• Views: 288
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: A complicated problem for my new;y-bought T400

2008-09-16, 14:33 PM

if you just want to change drive letters for each partition, you can do that in with a disk management tool that comes with vista:

how to change drive letters

Options

3 Posts

09-16-2008

Urbana, IL

3 Signins

27 Page Views

• Views: 27
  • Message 3 of 4

2008-09-16, 14:57 PM

But my problem now is I can't use disk management, since their default path is in C disk, the major disk, which becomes G disk now. All softwares and programs can't be used now.

Can anyone tell me how to use recovery to get back to factory content, so I can unpartition my disk?

Options

9 Posts

09-08-2008

Ohio, USA

19 Signins

288 Page Views

• Views: 288
  • Message 4 of 4

2008-09-24, 19:43 PM

You can still access the disk management program by going to G:\Windows\System32\CompMgmtLauncher.exe (since your C: volume is now named G:)

I believe the problem was your restore image is faulty.  I just got a T400 also and it came with a incorrect hard drive image which was also the restore image.  If you restored the system to factory defaults it should not have shuffled your disk drive letters.

I would try to restore again to factory defaults and if your drive letters are still messed up, call tech support and ask them to send you a new set of recovery DVDs w/o charge because your system arrived with a faulty image.

I feel your pain...my t400 actually shipped with more than the image problem, it had a broken system board also...so I'm still waiting for them to fix it.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete