09-07-2019

IE

32 Signins

247 Page Views

• Views: 247
  • Message 1 of 3

AMD T14s Legacy Boot

2020-09-04, 21:29 PM

I would like to use legacy boot with my AMD T14s Gen 1. It's for an older disk imaging program I use, but I would also like the option available for other uses in the future. Legacy boot was possible on a Thinkpad X1 Extreme Gen 2 I had for evaluation a few months ago. It does not appear possible on the AMD T14s.

I must have tried every conceivable BIOS setting at this point. I turned secure boot off, of course, as well as the TPM, Absolute Persistence and so on. I even erased the secure boot keys. The BIOS help text makes references to startup settings, such as "UEFI Only / Legacy" and "CSM Support", however those settings are nowhere to be found. They don't seem to exist in this version of the BIOS, the AMD version 1.05. On the other hand the boot priority list includes the option to boot from floppy, making it appear as though you could boot from that, even though surely (I'm guessing) boot floppies that include an EFI loader don't exist.

Something doesn't quite gel here. Does anyone know how to enable legacy boot on this machine?

Clarification from Lenovo would also be appreciated. The BIOS seems unfinished to me. Why is there an option to boot from floppies, if it's not going to work? Why are there references in the help text to options that don't exist? Will this be fixed in a future BIOS release?

Options

8350 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77289 Signins

2193494 Page Views

• Views: 2193494
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:AMD T14s Legacy Boot

2020-09-04, 22:37 PM

Hi,

I don't have any official info (or capacity) but I found this in the support page for your model.  I don't know if it applies to AMD models, but I suspect it may.

Legacy BIOS Boot Support Removed in Lenovo 2020 products

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

40 Posts

02-12-2016

CO

42 Signins

138 Page Views

• Views: 138
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:AMD T14s Legacy Boot

2020-09-06, 15:58 PM

Forget about legacy mode, it´s obsolete and won´t be available in newer computers. As for imaging programs, if your are using one that does not support "UEFI only", you are using a very very old program. Try Macrium, Terabyte or AOMEI. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete