Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

08-08-2009

Ann Arbor Michigan

29 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 1 of 18

Bad customer service and warranty question.

2010-06-10, 17:47 PM

I called a couple days ago to see if could get my lcd bezel fixed, since it just started to crack and the bottom (basically the back of the lid when it's close)  for no reason at all. if i dropped it or did something to break it, i wouldn;t even bother calling. but it just started doing this naturally so i;m worried that there might be a bigger problem. i didn't think it was a big deal, and i do have a warrenty for a reason, so i thought i might get it fixed before it runs out and the problem gets worse.

To be clear, i have the warranty that came with the machine. I called Lenovo expecting the same great service, but i got something completely different. I explained my problem and the women just started speaking at a really loud voice "it's going to cost you $995 to get it fixed, Do you still want to do that" I told her that i thought that my machine is still under warranty and she told me that is not covered.

Since i have my thinkvantage tool open to get the model number and everything, i can see that i have 60+ days left. so i told her that and she comes back with "let me check your warranty." I'm a very patient person and rarely get mad, but at this point i was kind of confused and mad that she would just give me an answer without checking. she told me that i was not covered with accidental damage and i don't think i am.  But when i told her that the damage is not by accident, she got very defensive and told me a lot of stuff i couldn't make out. such as "it will still cost you 995 dollars and it would just be a waste of time to send in your machine and get it sent back. and that all damage plastic wise, will count as accidental damange and if there is no damage, they send it back, it;s still gonna cost 995 dollars.  This is all i could understand, since she was being loud and her voiced cracked over the phone.

To replace a piece of pastic should not cost anywhere near 995 with or without warranty

so i guess after complaning for this long, here is the real question.

Is that true, that the warranty that you get when you buy a machine does not cover plastic damage because it would be part of accidental and you do not get accidental protection when you buy the machine, even when the damage was not the result of an accident. this is not even a week after they replaced my power adapter and HDD.

I do plan to call back, but wanted to see if i can get a straight forward answer before i do.

Thanks

Options

9 Posts

08-08-2009

Ann Arbor Michigan

29 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 2 of 18

Re: Bad customer service and warranty question.

2010-06-14, 4:32 AM

No one has any ideas?

Options

382 Posts

02-13-2009

United States of America

228 Signins

4335 Page Views

• Views: 4335
  • Message 3 of 18

2010-06-14, 5:23 AM

Call back and talk to someone higher up, maybe someone else would be more apt to help you.  If you could take a photo of the damage to show us, though I guess in this case you may have to prove that it is damaged due to a bad mold or poor quality control.   The main thing though is to stay calm with the support representative.

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 10 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 4 of 18

2010-06-14, 11:28 AM

Escalate your complaint to the customer service satisfaction officer. 

There is no warranty agreement in your warranty booklet, which explicitly states that case or plastics fitting is not covered. In such cases, one should assume that it is covered, provided that you did not damage the part yourself.

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

18 Posts

05-08-2010

Finland

8 Signins

215 Page Views

• Message 5 of 18

2010-06-14, 11:47 AM

I would suggest first file a complaint against that "women"! and then...

Options

382 Posts

02-13-2009

United States of America

228 Signins

4335 Page Views

• Views: 4335
  • Message 6 of 18

2010-06-15, 21:03 PM

wrote:

I would suggest first file a complaint against that "women"! and then...

While I would say to raise a complaint due to the fact that poor customer service is something which affects the brands image, and I believe especially the think branded products customers expect a higher level of service, especially considering how long some of us wait to receive our products in the first place, the most important thing would be to get his computer fixed to his satisfaction. 

Thinkpad T500-2081 CTO | T9400 2.53GHz | 8 GB RAM | ATI HD3650 + Intel GM45 | 15.4" LED WXGA+ | Windows 10 | ATI Catalyst 13.1 (non-switchable)
Thinkpad 390x | PII 333 | 256mb ram | NeoMagic 256AV | SVGA LCD | OS/2 v4.52
Options

7 Posts

06-15-2010

Philadelphia, PA

7 Signins

61 Page Views

• Views: 61
  • Message 7 of 18

2010-06-16, 1:37 AM

I just went through a warranty repair for a new Edge 15 (HD died after about a week.)

The first tech couldn't find record of my warranty and started reciting procedure more than helping me get the issue resolved.   I also got into the back-and-forth between Lenovo and IBM which reminded me of dealing with different parts of Verizon (that's not a compliment.)  I did finally get some help, but I felt like I was dealing with a below average corporate help desk -- much like the one IBM ran at a company I once worked for. 

I actually just got a call back from a support manager doing random follow-ups and he was helpful.  I agree with the previous post that you should ask to have the call escalated to a manager and see what happens.  This guy was on the ball.

I also agree that there's an overall expectation that buying a ThinkPad means a certain level of quality in both the product and the related services.  You shouldn't have to escalate a call to get professional and competent support.

Good luck!

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 8 of 18

2010-06-16, 5:03 AM

would it surprises you that Lenovo uses IBM service for the warranty phone support?

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 9 of 18

2010-06-16, 11:49 AM

ipam45,

Sorry that this was your experience.   Cracked case plastics may or may not be covered by the base warranty depending primarily upon whether there is evidence of the issue arising from environmental factors suggesting a drop, improper handling, etc  (asphalt / concrete rash, multiple areas broken, general wear / tear condition of the unit , ect).   ADP or accidental damage upgrade on the warranty covers all these scenarios and I'd recommend customers consider it along with extending the warranty beyond the base 1 year.

However, I would have expected the agent to advise that they would need to look at the unit to make a determination and arrange to have brought it to the depot. They should have advised that pending physical examination, there might be a charge.   I would have expected them to examine the system and look for signs of external damage (environment induced rather than inherent) and to review any internal servicer tips that might advise about any issues with specific areas and specific systems before advising you on whether this would be a warranty repair or not.   The $900 price seems way out of line and I can't understand that even if this were deemed billable.

I'd like to look into your situation and see what can be done to help... can you send me a private message with your contact information, the system model and serial number, and the call or service case number if you have that?  

Best regards,

Mark

Options

18 Posts

03-28-2008

USA

297 Signins

15933 Page Views

• Views: 15933
  • Message 10 of 18

2010-06-16, 14:27 PM

Mark,

I don't know if you have been seeing any of my PM's, however, I am feeling a bit left out. You requested a PM with my system number and details which I did not hesitate to send. Since then, I have heard neither peep nor whistle from you on the status of my problem. If I need to be more patient, please tell me. If it cannot be resolved please tell me, so that I know that I am not wasting my time holding my breath.

Many thanks, and God bless

yours

-Stunner

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms