Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

07-04-2018

Canada

1 Signins

44 Page Views

• Views: 44
  • Message 1 of 8

Bluetooth Light Stuck On - Thinkpad T420

2018-07-04, 21:52 PM

Hello,

The Bluetooth indicator light on my Thinkpad T420 is stuck in the on position regardless of if I have bluetooth on or off. 

This was never an issue until I recently installed a fresh version of Windows 10 on a new SSD. 

I just want to know how to either:

1. fix this problem so that the light works as it is supposed to function, 

OR 2. disable the Bluetooth indicator entirely so that it doesn't remain on forever.

Thanks so much for your help.

Options

34 Posts

05-03-2018

Australia

41 Signins

740 Page Views

• Views: 740
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: Bluetooth Light Stuck On - Thinkpad T420

2018-07-04, 22:37 PM

did u install hotkeys?

i suspect the program is the link between the light and the actual BT status

speaking of which a bt 4.0 daughtercard would be a good investment

Options

6 Posts

07-04-2018

Canada

1 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2018-07-04, 22:42 PM
No I haven't installed hotkeys. Are you suggesting that hotkeys would be a fix or the source of the problem.
What is a daughtercard?
Thanks
Options

34 Posts

05-03-2018

Australia

41 Signins

740 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2018-07-04, 23:32 PM

the hotkeys are the traditional thinkpad program that allows you to turn on you nightlight etc

it also enables/disables bt and wifi with a quick set of combo keys

the bluetooth on the T420 is a separate module - (nowadays we're used to the BT and wifi being integrated in a single chip)

the term daughterboard is anything you add on the the mainboard which in this case is the bluetooth 3.0 that comes as stock.

if you are a heavy BT user 'd find that bt 4.0 is essential. if you aren't a bluetoth user then i'd advise that you should disable the bluetooth via bios. This would provide aome battery boost given the high power usage of the bt3.0

there are other ways but apart from the light being a mild irritation - try installing hotkeys and then disable the bt using the combo short cut to disable to bt which would then turn the light off.

what i picked up was that this all statrted after a new ssd /reformat was down as a replacement for the boot disk.

I'm just assuming back then the hotkey progrm may have been installed and depending on how you moved your OS over to the SSD (either via a clean reformat (which then this shouldn't happen), or you used a data migration software to do so or perhaps a hybrid of sort)

if its not too much trouble i'd suggest a clean reformat and install - and then proceed to find relevant win10 drivers on the T430 driverpage.

don't install any lenovo vantage/utility/companion software. not even hotkeys

Your laptop is way past any warranty coverage i take it so don't feel obliged to install them as it seems these programs often do more harm then good.

Options

6 Posts

07-04-2018

Canada

1 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2018-07-04, 23:47 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply.
The SSD was actually just a fresh installation of windows - I had wanted to do a data migration from HDD to SSD but there were some data corruption problems with the old hdd that prevented that from being an option.
Having tried hotkeys just now, I found that there is no option for the T420 on Windows 10, and was unable to have any success with that when I tried to install it anyway.

Additional info" I didn't have hotkeys installed on the old harddrive.
thanks again
Options

6 Posts

07-04-2018

Canada

1 Signins

44 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2018-07-04, 23:50 PM
I have disabled bluetooth in the BIOS just now and the light is off. Not a heavy user of bluetooth with my laptop so it shouldn't be a major setback.
Options

34 Posts

05-03-2018

Australia

41 Signins

740 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2018-07-05, 0:26 AM

from a security viewpoint - not being dependanton BT is a good thing.

glad to be of service. going forwardd - win 8 programs are compatible with win  10 but an alternative would be to defer to the T430 for any future driver updates - being the audie drivers and the touchpad.

another vulnerability would be the wifi card you are using - if it's an intel one - chances are they're no longer providing up to date drivers but you can still find patches for important securitiy fixes

upgrading your wifi card would have the next best price/performance upgrade after your ssd but that would necessistate some unofficial change to your configuration - (relatively hardmless in this case but is a practice that is shunned upon in this forum)

Options

1 Posts

10-05-2019

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 8 of 8

2019-10-05, 22:13 PM

I have the same problem. I did not install Hotkeys. I did update the Windows 10.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms