Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

37 Posts

12-20-2013

Singapore

70 Signins

346 Page Views

• Views: 346
  • Message 11 of 35

Re: Brand New T440S makes annoying buzzing noise (apparently when fan starts)

2013-12-21, 14:54 PM

HI daymon909, thank God someone else had the same problem. Otherwise this "Why did it happen to ME" would be too much for me...

Anyway, I went back to the store where I bought it from and after being shown the video, they agreed to an exchange. So I got another new T440s. Almost entirely new, that is - they moved my 'old' SSD and battery to this new one. I hated that a brand new machine had to be opened, etc. But what can you do....

Anyway, so far there has been no noise from it. 

Hope that it will keep this way. Fiingers crossed!!!

Options

37 Posts

12-20-2013

Singapore

70 Signins

346 Page Views

• Message 12 of 35

2013-12-21, 15:09 PM

Hi, I had my T440S exchanged for another new T440S at the store today. The noise problem seems to have disappeared. Hopefully it will not come back. It was driving me up the wall.

However, they did open up the second new T440S and put in my previous SSD (apparently for my benefit). I hated that a new machine had to be opened and things inserted. But it was done.

However, when I checked the base of the laptop, it looks like one screw was not well tightened back. 

So I wanted to ask you - what screwdriver did you use to open up your T440S? I want to buy one and tighten the screws, if any are loose.

Thanks

Options

61 Posts

07-09-2012

Sarajevo

703 Signins

2508 Page Views

• Views: 2508
  • Message 13 of 35

2013-12-24, 8:25 AM

This is the same noise that I experienced with my T430. I wonder why they don't fix it for good? I had to had the fan replaced twice till it dissappeared. Could you post here the actual and the previous FRU numbers of your fan? I'm just interested, if it's the same as for T430.

Options

37 Posts

12-20-2013

Singapore

70 Signins

346 Page Views

• Message 14 of 35

2013-12-24, 18:00 PM

Hi, thanks for replying to the thread. Sorry to learn that you had to deal with the same issue. How can I find out about my "FRU numbers"?  I wouldn't need to open up my laptop, right?

Now, after the exchange (of the entire machine), I no longer hear the fan noise.

HOWEVER, I am now confronted by another noise problem - CPU Whine! It is a very high-pitched constant noise that is just as maddening. This is what it sounds like (I didn't post it, it is someone elses's recording of CPU whining):

CPU WHINE

I was so upset I was screaming and cursing. There is no reason I had to spend a large amount of money only to be tormented and inconvenienced by two machines. The trouble I had/have to go through...

Anyway, after I calmed down. I contacted tech support earlire today. They will call me back after Christmas to follow up.

Options

134 Posts

11-09-2013

Fairfax, Virginia

125 Signins

1115 Page Views

• Views: 1115
  • Message 15 of 35

2013-12-24, 18:45 PM
I have the same noise on my T440s and its only coming from the speakers. but its only audible if you press your ears up against the speakers. otherwise if i'm sitting normally in my chair in a quite room I cannot hear anything. my HDD is actually the loudest thing, louder than the fan lol :p
Options

61 Posts

07-09-2012

Sarajevo

703 Signins

2508 Page Views

• Message 16 of 35

2013-12-24, 20:49 PM

If you received a documentation (= a sheet of paper :)) on the replacement, it should contain the FRU numbers. Otherwise you can only obtain this ID from support or from the sticker on the fan.

As for the other noise: I'm not sure if it's the CPU or the SSD. Electric devices do produce high pitched noise and I also heard this exact sound but only from the laptop with an SSD. But that's just a wild guess, I'm not an expert.

Options

37 Posts

12-20-2013

Singapore

70 Signins

346 Page Views

• Message 17 of 35

2013-12-25, 7:19 AM

Hi, about FRU number, the replacement was for the whole machine, not the fan. On the new Invoice was listed the serial number of this second T440s I am using. So it seems that I can't give you that information unless I open up my laptop, which I am not sure I want to do right now.

Re the high-pitched noise, do you really hear it too? And it is the same as the audio in the link I provided? It is like hearing a mosquito buzzing around you CONSTANTLY. So it's not something I can put up with. Anyway, it is not an isolated issue. See the links below:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T510-T410-W510-ThinkPad-high-pitched-whine/ta-p/478215

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T420s-experiencing-CPU-whine-that-is-getting-worse/td-p/832237/page/3

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T510-i5-540M-terrible-whine-noise/m-p/717175/%29

All I can say is that I am very disappointed and annoyed. I do not have the time or energy to deal with these noise problems. For the money I spent on T440S, I SO should have bought a Mac Air instead.

My MacBook Pro is very very quiet.

Options

61 Posts

07-09-2012

Sarajevo

703 Signins

2508 Page Views

• Message 18 of 35

2013-12-25, 8:17 AM

Well, don't take your machine apart for that number, it's not that important :)

As for the mosquito noise: I hear it on a 6-7 years old HP machine. Since I only use that occasionally and the sound is also very weak, I didn't pay too much attention to it. But I understand you completely, if it drives you crazy. I'll check later if it's related to power management.

Options

8095 Posts

11-19-2007

United States of America

10101 Signins

400183 Page Views

• Views: 400183
  • Message 19 of 35

2014-01-30, 19:46 PM

The "CPU whine" has been around intermittantly for a number of system generations and usually has to do with capacitors vibrating at high frequencies.  

This may be more or less noticable on various models depending on individual system component tolerances and the hearing acuity of the individual customer and the environment it is operated in.

To some degree it is normal.   If you have a worst case situation, please contact service.

Mark

Options

37 Posts

12-20-2013

Singapore

70 Signins

346 Page Views

• Message 20 of 35

2014-02-05, 9:58 AM

Thanks for replying to my post. I also consulted the article you wrote in 2011 about the diagnostics of the whine problem:

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T510-T410-W510-ThinkPad-high-pitched-whine/ta-p/478215

I found that, if I try either test (disable CPU Power Management or disable USB hub), the problem goes away. It was after that that I contacted the various departments of Lenovo which by the way, has been referring me back and forth between various departments.

What is alarming to me is that all of them claim to be hearing about this problem for the first time (I did include the link to your article in my email communications with them), when in fact it has been around for quite a number of years! Lenovo does not circulate memos to its offices around the world about various known problems?

The machine has been taken to the Repair Center in Singapore after phone suport, on-site warranty, etc failed to solve the problem. They have so far refused my request for a refund despite the fact that I brought the matter to their attention on the 3rd day after I bought the machine.

I must say that I do not consider the CPU whine problem to be normal. For one thing, my MacBook Pro does not produce this whine. It is completely quiet. Of course the level of annoyance would depend on the hearing sensitivity of the user and how quiet the enviornment is, as you pointed out. But that in my opinion is not an acceptable argument. It would be like saying: "if I kick you, the degree of pain you feel depends on your pain threshold" -- when in fact I am not supposed to kick you in the first place! And, I don't have to be hearing impaired or be in a noisy enviornment to be able to tolerate my Macbook Pro. 

But most importantly, Mark, what would the repair center need to do to silence the machine? Right now I am not sure if they have a clue! Since you wrote the article, I assume there ARE solutions, right? If you can share those with me here, it would be great. I can then forward your instructions to them. Or, you can call/email them directly, if you prefer. I can PM you my machine's serial number and case number.

thanks

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms