Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

55 Posts

08-08-2015

Slovenia

58 Signins

454 Page Views

• Views: 454
  • Message 1 of 4

Buying a new battery for T440p - 4 burning questions. :)

2019-01-26, 12:54 PM

Hello,

my T440p is now 4.5 years old and the battery wear level is at 63%.

I'm about to buy a new battery and I'd appreciate your help with my 4 quesions:

1) My laptop is most of the time placed on the same spot and plugged in (I discharge it once a week to 25% and then plug it back in). Can I keep working with a degrading battery or can a worned out battery somehow damage my computer?

2) Because my laptops is more or less used like a desktop workstation, do I even need to have a battery inserted? Does it help in any way to protect the computer from power surges and power fluctuations?

3) My battery model is 45N1147 and has a 5200 mAh capacity. However, I'm about to upgrade the stock i5-4200M with i7-4810MQ (my computer also has a GeForce GT 730M graphics card). What kind of battery should I buy for the new configuration?

4) Is it worth buying a new original Lenovo battery (based on my situation) or would a quality 3rd party battery work just as good?

Please help. :)

Thanks.

Answer
Options

156 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

136 Signins

585 Page Views

• Views: 585

Re: Buying a new battery for T440p - 4 burning questions. :)

2019-02-14, 14:53 PM

Hi lemming2060! Welcome to Community Forums.

Below are the answers for your queries. Hope it helps!

1.Yes, you can keep working with a degrading battery & won't damage your computer, but note that eventually, the battery will wear out due to age, heat, and daily use.

2.No, the battery doesn't need to be inserted if you'll be using the computer but in case a power interruption occurs, the battery will act like a backup so your computer won't suddenly turn off. If you'll be doing this, an uninterruptible power supply is advised.

As for power surges, from the discussion in this thread https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Surge-protection-and-hard-power-shutdown-damage/td-p/574313, the AC adapter adapter is in effect, a voltage regulator so it's sufficient enough to protect the laptop from voltage surge/fluctuation.

3.If you'll be using the computer as a workstation and is plugged-in all the time, the 5200 mAh is fine especially since you can use the computer while the battery is not inserted.

If you'll be on the go and will mostly rely on the battery power then you have options:
Option 1. Purchase a 9cell / 11Wh battery & disable the GeForce GT 730M for light tasks
Option 2. Get a laptop power bank

4.It's ideal that you purchase an original Lenovo battery as using 3rd party battery may not work as desired (you may get an error "Unauthorized Battery Detected" error) and may pose a threat to safety.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Replies(3)
Answer
Options

156 Posts

08-02-2018

United States of America

136 Signins

585 Page Views

• Views: 585
  • Message 2 of 4

2019-02-14, 14:53 PM

Hi lemming2060! Welcome to Community Forums.

Below are the answers for your queries. Hope it helps!

1.Yes, you can keep working with a degrading battery & won't damage your computer, but note that eventually, the battery will wear out due to age, heat, and daily use.

2.No, the battery doesn't need to be inserted if you'll be using the computer but in case a power interruption occurs, the battery will act like a backup so your computer won't suddenly turn off. If you'll be doing this, an uninterruptible power supply is advised.

As for power surges, from the discussion in this thread https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T/Surge-protection-and-hard-power-shutdown-damage/td-p/574313, the AC adapter adapter is in effect, a voltage regulator so it's sufficient enough to protect the laptop from voltage surge/fluctuation.

3.If you'll be using the computer as a workstation and is plugged-in all the time, the 5200 mAh is fine especially since you can use the computer while the battery is not inserted.

If you'll be on the go and will mostly rely on the battery power then you have options:
Option 1. Purchase a 9cell / 11Wh battery & disable the GeForce GT 730M for light tasks
Option 2. Get a laptop power bank

4.It's ideal that you purchase an original Lenovo battery as using 3rd party battery may not work as desired (you may get an error "Unauthorized Battery Detected" error) and may pose a threat to safety.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

55 Posts

08-08-2015

Slovenia

58 Signins

454 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2019-02-14, 16:40 PM

Thank you for your reply!

I'll keep my old battery inserted in this case and if I'll need to move this computer again, I'll get a new, original 9 cell battery.

Thanks again.

Options

55 Posts

08-08-2015

Slovenia

58 Signins

454 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2019-05-05, 7:04 AM

Just a quick update about the battery.

I decided not to buy a new battery, because I use my laptop as a desktop replacement. However, more and more often the computer would not boot when turned on. The green light would turn on, but after that, there was nothing. So, after doing some more reserach, I've read that the battery could be the cause for this issue. After I removed the battery, everything seems to be fine.

I just wanted to share this, because someone might be experiencing the same issue, and removing a degraded battery can solve it. :)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms