Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

1022 Posts

01-07-2011

Sacramento, CA

550 Signins

8462 Page Views

• Views: 8462
  • Message 11 of 14

Re: Clean out the "crapware" or do a fresh Win 7 install?

2012-07-11, 5:29 AM

wrote:

wrote:

There is very little crapware on the stock install. Remember these are business machines which unlike consumer oriented laptops don't come with a bunch of junk.

JDay,

I guess it's all the eye of the beholder.  For example, I don't use Flickr, try to minimize Facebook, don't use Gmail, Kayak, Pogo, PayPal only from my desktop system (so I don't leave anything that a hacker could find), Google Calendar, Billboard, Biztree, NetFlix (ever since they screwed up the pricing), and especially not Chrome or MTV, so all these apps are just so much wasted space and a source of potential instability and possibly vulnerability to hackers.  Etc, etc.  As you said, this is a business machine.

And even for apps that I do use, like Google search, Wikipedia, Skype, why should I have to deal with two entirely differnet interfaces, one a classic Windows, and the other a "Metro-like" interface probably copied from Windows 8?

Those apps aren't preinstalled, you get links to download them. Hackers also aren't going to use those to get into your system.

Options

70 Posts

05-06-2008

United States of America

90 Signins

2942 Page Views

• Views: 2942
  • Message 12 of 14

2012-07-11, 17:05 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

There is very little crapware on the stock install. Remember these are business machines which unlike consumer oriented laptops don't come with a bunch of junk.

JDay,

I guess it's all the eye of the beholder.  For example, I don't use Flickr, try to minimize Facebook, don't use Gmail, Kayak, Pogo, PayPal only from my desktop system (so I don't leave anything that a hacker could find), Google Calendar, Billboard, Biztree, NetFlix (ever since they screwed up the pricing), and especially not Chrome or MTV, so all these apps are just so much wasted space and a source of potential instability and possibly vulnerability to hackers.  Etc, etc.  As you said, this is a business machine.

And even for apps that I do use, like Google search, Wikipedia, Skype, why should I have to deal with two entirely differnet interfaces, one a classic Windows, and the other a "Metro-like" interface probably copied from Windows 8?

Those apps aren't preinstalled, you get links to download them. Hackers also aren't going to use those to get into your system.

Thank you for telling me that those apps aren't preinstalled, but are only links. That makes uninstalling them that much easier.

I get (and maybe you too) get way too much email from hacked Facebook accounts, as just one example, for anyone to dismiss the idea that hackers aren't going to use potential vulnerabilities.  But this is an individual judgment.  I'm a secuirty guy, so I see all the wreakage and damage. YMMV.

Phil

Options

158 Posts

04-24-2012

Birmingham, UK

171 Signins

1424 Page Views

• Views: 1424
  • Message 13 of 14

2012-07-11, 17:25 PM
Don't waste anymore time asking questions here. I've given you the best solution which won't cause any headaches later.
ThinkPad T420s (4174-HG6) i5-2540M 8GB RAM, 320GB HDD
ThinkPad T430s (2356-GDG) i5-3320M, 8GB RAM, 500GB HDD x 2
Options

1022 Posts

01-07-2011

Sacramento, CA

550 Signins

8462 Page Views

• Views: 8462
  • Message 14 of 14

2012-07-11, 20:55 PM

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

wrote:

JDay,

Thank you for telling me that those apps aren't preinstalled, but are only links. That makes uninstalling them that much easier.

I get (and maybe you too) get way too much email from hacked Facebook accounts, as just one example, for anyone to dismiss the idea that hackers aren't going to use potential vulnerabilities.  But this is an individual judgment.  I'm a secuirty guy, so I see all the wreakage and damage. YMMV.

Phil

They usually get the credentials for those hacked account with keyloggers and not from the app. It always comes back to the user doing something they shouldn't have done, such as blindly clicking 'OK' when they get a popup. In other cases the user puts their information into a phishing site (DNS redirect) and do not realize they are not actually on the domain they're attempting to login to.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms