Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

56 Posts

06-22-2015

Afghanistan

65 Signins

565 Page Views

• Views: 565
  • Message 1 of 3

*Clicking* sounds at powering on while using SSD and everything works fine.

2020-09-19, 12:50 PM

Just to log this behavior,

• My laptop (T450s with NVIDIA graphics) started to make load clicking sound a half a year ago everytime it turn of from a powerd down state (Sleep or Powered Off).
  • The clicking will goes on for about 1 or 2 minutes and then stops. 
  • I have no Hard Disk (I have full SSD, no hybrid)
  • Sound is comming from the Fan Area
  • I cleaned out the Fan area and confirmed the fan is spinning nicely without problems. I also can't hear the fan speed being influenced by the clicking
  • The clicking sound almost electrical, like little sparks going in a random interval with an average of about 0,5 seconds.
  • The sound are rather load, it can be heard from accross the room.e (no coil whine and a bit loader then a faulty hard drive would make)

The laptop still works fine and I have no noticable problems so far but I was scared the first time I heard it and I'm still kidna scared that it will just die on me. But it is doing this already for half a year now so its rather strange.

I'm just putting it out here for recording purpose and maybe someone has solved this mistery already. ;)

T450s is best laptop I have had so far. To bad they don't make such laptops anymore, the new T-Serie can't really be called the T-Serie anymore, it misses so much compare to what the old T-Series used to have.

Options

1 Posts

03-13-2021

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:*Clicking* sounds at powering on while using SSD and everything works fine.

2021-03-13, 23:02 PM

Any luck with the clicking? Mine started doing it yesterday. 7 fast clicks every 5 seconds, but only while the fan is on. No other issues detected, but the sound is infuriating, especially since I haven't even had the laptop for a year, and have barely used it. It is essentially brand new.

Options

6 Posts

03-13-2021

United States of America

7 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:*Clicking* sounds at powering on while using SSD and everything works fine.

2021-03-13, 23:48 PM

I have this on my t530 and I think it's electrical interference in the speakers. You might want to see if you can put some better shielding around the wires inside, or maybe replace them with something better.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms