09-05-2020

IL

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 1 of 3

Connecting two monitors to ThinkPad T490s

2020-09-05, 4:46 AM

I've one monitor attached to HDMI port, on Lenovo ThinkPad T490s (Windows OS).

I've USB hub attached to the TypeC port.

I want to connect another monitor, so I want to extend the second TypeC port, which is connected to the power cable.

I bought some TypeC connector which has two exits - for both TypeC and HDMI. I planned to connect the second monitor to that HDMI and the typeC connect to the power.

When I associate another monitor to the TypeC port, in order to have two monitors attached, the first, HDMI connected, monitor is automatically disconnected and the display moves to the TypeC connected monitor.

When I click 'Detect' in the display settings it does not reveal two monitors simultaneously. It does detect each one and the display is correct per each, if they are connected separately.

How can I have both TypeC and HDMI served for display simultaneously?

I managed to reach my goal when using the regular TypeC port, but again, since it is connected to the USB hub already, I need to work with the second TypeC port - the one that support also the power cable.

Thanks,

Nir

Options

1 Posts

09-09-2020

US

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Connecting two monitors to ThinkPad T490s

2020-09-09, 12:06 PM

I would suggest buying a Thinkpad usb-c Dock Gen2. This has many usb-a ports as well as c, and can attach three displays. It works well with my T490. No separate usb port needed. It also powers the T490. The only cable coming out of the T490 is a single usb-c to usb-c from the T490 to the dock, and then wired ethernet, external keyboard, mouse, displays, headset, etc all come out of the small (6.5" x 3" x 1") box. They build the laptops so thin you basically need something like this to function, I found.

Options

5195 Posts

04-25-2008

US

39609 Signins

750075 Page Views

• Views: 750075
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Connecting two monitors to ThinkPad T490s

2020-09-09, 16:12 PM
The USB-C dock will work, but for support of the highest resolutions get the Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete