05-19-2016

US

37 Signins

256 Page Views

• Views: 256
  • Message 1 of 4

Dear Lenovo, please answer this question about battery usage in T470-480

2018-10-07, 17:36 PM

As owners of the T470-T480 models know, the battery discharge method is a major drawback for people who use their laptops outside of the office. Instead of discharging the easily replaceable external battery first, the system frequently discharges the internal -- and very difficult to replace, at considerably more expense -- battery first. The setup is also problematic because people who want to do hot swaps of the external battery may discover that they don't have sufficient charge in the internal one to do this successfully.

In several threads in this forum, people (including me) have asked again and again for a user setting in the BIOS that will let us force discharging of the external battery first. As far as I can tell, Lenovo has ignored these requests. 

At the very least, please answer the question. If the answer is no, kindly explain the logic behind refusing to make a customer-friendly change.

I have bought a new Lenovo laptop every year for a long time now. Whether Lenovo listens to its customers on what should be an extremely simply fix will help determine whether I move to another vendor. 

Options

86 Posts

11-04-2013

CA

145 Signins

906 Page Views

• Views: 906
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Dear Lenovo, please answer this question about battery usage in T470-480

2018-10-07, 22:39 PM

Yup I've been extremely disatisfied with this discharging behavior of my T480. One of the main things that set the T480 apart from other laptops was this bridge battery system and is one of the top reasons why I chose it over others. To my shock however I began noticing my internal battery discharging first and as I researched the issue, I found that Lenovo had intentionally designed it this way... even after years of complaints Lenovo has done nothing to change this.

If I had known this beforehand, I would of easily looked elsewhere. I have only stuck with the T480 because it is otherwise a great laptop and I don't want to deal with the hassle of returning this machine.

My frustration reached a whole new level recently. My internal battery was discharging first and the battery reached 7%... strangely I noticed it got stuck on 7% for a very long time and knew something was wrong. Since the battery guage was "stuck" I reset my computer to see if it would fix anything. When the computer booted I recieved an error message saying that the system cannot detect the internal battery and behaved as if there was only the external battery. When I got home and charged the laptop, the internal battery was literally completely drained to 0%.

This really upsets me because not only do they force us to discharge the internal battery first, but this doesn't work as it should because the guage gets stuck and doesn't automatically switch to the external battery. The internal battery drains to 0%, making hot swapping impossible. I also do not like draining batteries all the way to zero because this rapidly degrades the lifespan of the battery.

Seriously Lenovo fix this mess already. It's been too long that you've ignored this issue. If they want to maintain this alternate battery discharging sequence non-sense, then fine, but AT LEAST, give power users the option to choose to always drain external battery first, or allow us to easily switch between which battery is being discharged. 

ThinkPad T480 | i7-8650u | 32GB | MX150 | WQHD | 72wh
Options

8 Posts

10-03-2018

MY

11 Signins

200 Page Views

• Views: 200
  • Message 3 of 4

2018-10-09, 2:00 AM

Yes, I would like to have this feature as well. To discharge the external battery firsly. At least put up the options in the bios. If the system does not discharge the external battery firstly, then how are you going to define hot-swappable battery? Lenovo's "Power Bridge" design idea is not this way. 

Thinkpad series is always a top product line up since IBM. Lenovo should be able to do better than this. Please do not ignore T-series owners' reasonable request. Yes or no, let us know. This feature is important for you to hold your loyal customers or to make them sway to your great competitors out there. 

Options

19 Posts

05-19-2016

US

37 Signins

256 Page Views

• Views: 256
  • Message 4 of 4

2018-11-20, 2:10 AM

So it's clear that Lenovo won't answer this question. And it's equally clear that Lenovo won't fix this easily fixable problem.

This is the opposite of customer service. It's deliberate obsoleting of components that need to be replaced at significant expense. 

Unless Lenovo changes this policy and updates the BIOS to do what so many customers want -- and deserve -- this is my last ThinkPad. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete