Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

98 Posts

06-02-2014

United States of America

127 Signins

1308 Page Views

• Views: 1308
  • Message 1 of 6

Device was approved during boot but is not part of the current Approved Devices list.

2018-04-26, 21:34 PM

We've got a fleet of T480s and matching Thunderbolt 3 USB-C Docks and each time the machine is restarted, or the dock is inserted, we see Toast and Action Center notifications stating "Device was approved during boot but is not part of the current Approved Devices list."

How can this notification be suppressed?

Here's the toast:

Here's the Action Center notification:

While logged on as a local administrator, when you secondary mouse-click on the system tray icon, the 'Approve Attrached Devices', 'Thunderbolt™ Networking' and 'Manage Approved Devices' options are all grayed out.

Both 'Settings' and 'View Attached Devices' are enabled and the latter confirms the dock is connected; well that and the fact that USB devices connected to the dock as well as Ethernet and displays are working too.

However, if you click on the notification (for example the Action Center notification) you receive this prompt and it allows you to make the change at which point nag goes away:

Options

31 Posts

09-05-2018

United States of America

36 Signins

246 Page Views

• Views: 246
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: Device was approved during boot but is not part of the current Approved Devices list.

2018-09-05, 19:56 PM

We are currently testing Lenovo products and we came across this issue as well. I believe what is causing the popup in the notification area is if you change the Thunderbolt port authorization method. We did change it from User Authorization to No Security. When we did that, we started seeing the same notification about "Device was approved, but" . We also cannot approve the device even with local admin credentials. This is the part we don't understand. We have stopped using the No Security option and reverted back to User Authorization in the BIOS. This method required local admin rights to install the Thunderbolt Secure Connect software one time and we select "Always Allow" every time the docking station is connected. At least this way we have stopped getting the "Device was approved, but" popup every time we turn on our test unit. Unfortunately, we have not found a way to ungrey the options for approving the Thunderbolt devices even with local admin rights.

Options

37 Posts

08-23-2016

United States of America

43 Signins

264 Page Views

• Views: 264
  • Message 3 of 6

Re: Device was approved during boot but is not part of the current Approved Devices list.

2019-02-27, 19:01 PM

Lenovo not responding is beyond ridiculous - but I guess it figures they'd remain quiet when they know they have jenky software 

Options

98 Posts

06-02-2014

United States of America

127 Signins

1308 Page Views

• Views: 1308
  • Message 4 of 6

2019-03-25, 18:25 PM

I hear you on this and I don't know what to say.  It seems like it could be a mix of BIOS, Driver and Software settings making it challenging to identify the true source.  However, here's whats been working for us but YMMV.

BIOS Configuration

• ThunderboltSecurityLevel = UserAuthorization

For machines that are being built via SCCM (or MDT):

• After applying the OS in WinPE
  • Load the offline SYSTEM hive
  • Set the registry value 'ApprovalLevel' to a dword value of '1' in "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ThunderboltService\TbtServiceSettings"
  • Unload the offline SYSTEM hive
  • Once you've rebooted out of WinPE and are in the real OS, install the Thunderbolt drivers

For machines that have already been built

• Uninstall the Thunderbolt driver
  • Set the registry value 'ApprovalLevel' to a dword value of '1' in "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\ThunderboltService\TbtServiceSettings"
  • Reconfigure the BIOS
  • Reinstall the Thunderbolt driver

Options

1 Posts

03-06-2020

United States of America

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 6

Re:Device was approved during boot but is not part of the current Approved Devices list.

2020-04-21, 16:17 PM

We just had this issue here on an X380 and confirmed it on a T480s.

The thunderbolt security in the BIOS is set as follows:

• Thunderbolt BIOS Assist Mode: Disabled
  • Wake by Thunderbolt(TM) 3: Enabled
  • Security Level: No Security
  • Support in Pre-Boot Environment:
    • Thunderbolt(TM) device: Enabled

When I run the Intel Thunderbolt app (C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Thunderbolt Software\Thunderbolt.exe) it doesn’t open anything, but it does look like there’s a tray icon for it.  When I open up the tray icon, it shows me that the option to approve devices is greyed out.  I specifically exited out of the application and ran it as administrator to see if it made a different but sadly it did not.

I received the following information from the Lenovo Engineer we're working with:

The message is cosmetic.

The BIOS security allows Thunderbolt devices at boot, but the Intel software does not have the admin access it needs at boot to add the device.  So it warns that the device is not on the current approved list.

Moving to the Modern app version of the software may help. (Thunderbolt Control Center in the Microsoft Store, it may have reduced admin requirements at boot)

David O****
ThinkPad Support Engineer
Lenovo System Support Engineering

Options

12317 Posts

01-02-2010

United States of America

40508 Signins

427409 Page Views

• Views: 427409
  • Message 6 of 6

Re:Device was approved during boot but is not part of the current Approved Devices list.

2020-04-21, 18:31 PM

This seems to be a windows 10/Thunderbolt "Feature".  I can find the same issue described on all sorts of machines from various manufacturers.  None of the suggested solutions look ideal to me.  I have a Thunderbolt dock on order and it should get to me this week.  If I can figure anything out, I'll post back.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms