08-27-2008

Seattle, WA

23 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 21 of 77

Re: Drivers, T400 2768-AA6

2008-08-27, 19:37 PM

I wish I had seen this thread before purchasing my T400. I did the same that most here did - clean install of Vista. Now I am left without graphics drivers, wireless drivers, fingerprint software/drivers, etc., etc., etc.

Very sloppy support from Lenovo.

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

SK

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 22 of 77

2008-08-27, 20:00 PM

geronimosan wrote:

..snip...

I would like to take this opportunity to point again to this thread in which ballstix seems to have given this some thought beforehand. This is not an excuse for drivers not being readily available, but leads me to question the "sloppy planning" of a clean install.

I hope, as stated, that the necessary drivers will be available in the very very near future. In the mean time do we have a member with a T400 who has not erased the pre-install and is prepared to helpout with some drivers?

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

14 Posts

08-27-2008

Seattle, WA

23 Signins

140 Page Views

• Views: 140
  • Message 23 of 77

2008-08-27, 20:09 PM

Sloppy planning of a clean install? I see, so the onus of a poorly supported product rests squarely on the shoulders of the customer...

As someone who did plan ahead, I downloaded all drivers and software Lenovo had on their website that they claimed pertained to the T400. There was no notification or warning that the majority of drivers required by the T400 were either incorrect or just not available. If I had known that the T400 was supported in such a shotty manner, then I would have looked elsewhere for additional information.

My only mistake was that I trusted Lenovo to fully support their product - I guess I won't make that mistake again.

Options

9380 Posts

11-27-2007

SK

15518 Signins

2040239 Page Views

• Views: 2040239
  • Message 24 of 77

2008-08-27, 21:09 PM

geronimosan wrote:

As someone who did plan ahead,

..snip..

Then you were aware which drivers were important in order to clean install a system which has been on the market for a matter of days / weeks and not seeing them being readily available reconsidering your actions.

geronimosan wrote:

I downloaded all drivers and software Lenovo had on their website that they claimed pertained to the T400.

..snip..

and didn't realise that something was missing.   .. Ditto above...

I do not work for Lenovo and cannot accept that you put 100% of the blame at their feet, as stated previously this is not an excuse for drivers not being readily available, you should / could have noticed that something was missing / wrong.

That being said, I do sympathise and have in my previous post asked for members to help. Let's work together to solve this rather than create conflicts which don't help anyone. Hopefully the drivers will be available to download soon.

Regards

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Options

4 Posts

08-23-2008

Singapore

26 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 25 of 77

2008-08-28, 1:29 AM

Hi AndyP,

I disagree with your point.  Lenovo is 100% responsible for the support of their products sold unless the users delibrately do something stupid to void the warranty.  In the case where Lenovo failed to provide working drivers on their webpage and failed to distribute fault-free recovery discs, they must take 100% of the blame.

I had asked many days ago if Lenovo is going to recall the faulty recovery discs and reissue us with a set of good one.  However, I have not been given a reply by any Lenovo support staff till now.  In the past, I would have got a reply and a solution from IBM support forum within 1-3 days.

So who is at fault? The sloppy support from Lenovo or my sloppy pre-purchase research? Or my sloppy eyesight that this is not the official support forum after all  *oops*, where the moderators talked for Lenovo, shot at other customers, but they aren't working for Lenovo?

In fact I didn't even ask for much, Lenovo sold me a faulty product (i assume that the recovery discs are part of the product sold, and my preloaded Windows Vista is in it) and I'm just asking for a replacement.  Is that too much?  3 dvds?

Options

134 Posts

01-02-2008

Pune, India

394 Signins

2933 Page Views

• Views: 2933
  • Message 26 of 77

2008-08-28, 2:25 AM

We have a problem at hand -- or is it a symptom masquerading as problem. This symptom can be handled, it is the deeper issues that we need to address.

As far as the current issue is concerned one of the members can provide image from a system that has not been subject to change. While it attempts to find a solution to the issues, Lenovo can, in the interim, post ISO images of the recovery media, downloadable by the registered owners. Members can put their requests and can send images to each other. All these suggestions will have their unintended consequences too!! 

Forums such as this are a great place to collect hundreds of events. But events are only tip of the iceberg. If we look a bit harder, we will notice trends that are causing these events. And deeper still would be structures -- the rules of business, the relationships within the company, between vendors -- both software and hardware, the customers, their expectations and what have we. And deeper still would be mental models and mindsets that have created these structures.

The problems that so arise are messy, with no one solution. This forum is a great place to uncover the issues at multiple levels of perspectives, which would otherwise be hidden from everyone, including Lenovo.

We love ThinkPads. We love them not just because they come from a stable we identify with, but also because those who use ThinkPads share many values and beliefs. That is why we -- or most of us -- are on this forum. This brother hood is not just  about the end-users. The ThinkPad system includes the manufacturer, its vendors and users. We are in it together. We all have same common vision of having a great product at a great price that keeps pace with change and which is durable.

All parts of this system, put together, have greater knowledge and knowhow at their disposal and any part alone.

It is time that Lenovo takes a note that these are systemic issues. They can be addressed with systems perspective and approach. Lenovo has a lineage of a company which has contributed much to systems thinking. May be this is time to converse deeply, to listen, to work together, as system to a shared vision of ThinkPads.

Could i urge the community (particularly senior members and moderators) to initiate a space within the forum, where we could look at systemic issues. Perhaps understand circular causality that AndyP was hinting at. 

I know I have deviated from the topic but I thought that this incident points also to systemic issues that we need to see.

Sushil

1 Posts

08-25-2008

Singapore

14 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 27 of 77

2008-08-28, 17:49 PM

wrote:

I wish I had seen this thread before purchasing my T400. I did the same that most here did - clean install of Vista. Now I am left without graphics drivers, wireless drivers, fingerprint software/drivers, etc., etc., etc.

Me too!! I did the same but luckily, one of my friend also buy the same one and I got back my Video driver from her lappy. I bought that from the NUS laptop sales; this is my first Lenovo experience and actually, I am a little bit disppointed and I'll think about buying Lenovo when I buy laptop next time.

But I think there would me nothing happen if we blame them. We just have to wait for their fully support for drivers (as for me, I need x64 drivers) and run our lappies as pre-installed state.

@From the good point of view, if they don't sell any T400 until all the customer supports are ready, we might not have a chance to buy T400 and when it is released in the market, we might have bought another type of lappy already and we won't get T400. As far as I know, I didn't find T400 sales anywhere.(I also could't find it sold in Comex Show @ Suntec City today.).

So, I won't make myself unhappy, I thought it was totally my fault not to keep the system as it was (even though whose fault it is) and just waiting for thier x64 drivers............................................

Message Edited by Mad_Computerist on 08-28-2008 11:35 AM
Options

11 Posts

08-23-2008

Singapore

74 Signins

475 Page Views

• Views: 475
  • Message 28 of 77

2008-08-29, 6:02 AM

For those who dont mind non-Lenovo drivers, you can head over to http://www.driverheaven.net/modtool.php and mod the stock catalyst drivers to work with your T400. It worked on mine on windows xp.

1. Install modtool from link above
  2. Download catalyst drivers from ATI. Select 3400 Series (not mobility!)
  3. Extract Catalyst drivers but DONOT install them
  4. Run modtool on the extracted drivers
  5. Install the modded drivers by running setup.exe from the extracted drivers directory

The drivers work, but I cannot test the switchable graphics as I donot have the "Thinkware" for that. Used BIOS instead.

Note that the modded drivers are not supported by Lenovo, but might be a good way to get discrete graphics working until the nice Lenovo engineers produce a working driver.

Also note that my T400-2768AA6's discrete graphics was detected as 3450 not 3470 by the modded drivers.

Cheers!

T400 2768-AA6 // Linux 2.6.29-gentoo-r1 x86_64 // xorg-server 1.6
Options

4 Posts

08-23-2008

Singapore

26 Signins

163 Page Views

• Views: 163
  • Message 29 of 77

2008-08-31, 12:05 PM

Well, I don't even know if it's lawfully appropriate for me to post the drivers under SWTools to the Internet.  Since the Lenovo support staffs had conveniently ignored this thread, we have to help one another as the end-users.  I've uploaded the entire SWTools\DRIVERS folder into Rapidshare as follow: http://rapidshare.com/users/MFMISX  All the files are zipped and there's no password.

I'm very disappointed with Lenovo.  This is not a big product issue after all (nobody expects a new product to be entirely fault-free) but the attitude of the support staffs simply pissed me off.  Lenovo is no match for IBM in terms of professionalism and support.

Options

134 Posts

01-02-2008

Pune, India

394 Signins

2933 Page Views

• Views: 2933
  • Message 30 of 77

2008-08-31, 12:22 PM

Hippocrates,

Cheers! I think you have taken appropriate and timely action -- of posting the drivers on RapidShare. Members helping members is the idea of this forum. Let us also keep in mind that the intent of this forum is exactly this. The community will be grateful for your gesture. This also means that we can take pro-active steps to sort out the issues.

I don't think this is a place to seek official Lenovo support, for there are other mechanisms to do so.

Those facing problems should continue to raise support issues with Lenovo support, and escalate the matter as appropriate -- for it is equally important that we create feedbacks for Lenovo team to ensure that superlative support is not derailed just because now ThinkPad is not the exclusive preserve of senior executives.

Message Edited by Bajpai on 09-01-2008 07:40 AM
Sushil

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete