Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

06-11-2010

Germany

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 1

Effect of switchable graphics on base power consumption

2010-06-11, 7:20 AM

I have just looked for some new Thinkpads the last days as my T43p and X41 are getting old and also lacking some features or performance. I first looked for an X replacement and found the X201s, which offers some nice features and is also very light and thus portable - but seems to have some problems with display supplies and is not sold on the official Lenovo page (US) anymore. So I looked for something else and found the T410s and was really surprised to see a (ultra) slim T series notebook. All the features looked nice but one was special - the switchable graphics, because it would allow me to use the integrated graphics while on the road to get increased battery life and use the discrete graphics to play the occasional games.

To cut a long story short, there is still one thing in my mind I would like to hear something about. Is the base power consumption of a Thinkpad (T410s) with switchable graphics, running with the integrated graphics enabled, higher than one with just the integrated graphics? Or to say it in other words: is the discrete graphics card physically disabled while unused resulting in zero power drain?

Either facts based on engineering knowledge or real measurements are welcome.

Thanks

Norman

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms