AU

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 2

External monitor has no power when connect via usb c to a ThinkPad T480 Laptop

2020-09-09, 2:56 AM

Hi 

I just purchase a Dell P2719HC monitor and was hoping to connect a single usb c cable to my ThinkPad T480 Laptop for power and display.

However the monitor does not turn on unless I connect the power cable as well as the usb c cable.

Is there an issue with my laptop firmware ? 

Yastheel

Options

1059 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

126 Signins

5876 Page Views

• Views: 5876
  • Message 2 of 2

Re:External monitor has no power when connect via usb c to a ThinkPad T480 Laptop

2020-09-09, 12:19 PM

@ Yatheel wrote:

Hi 

I just purchase a Dell P2719HC monitor and was hoping to connect a single usb c cable to my ThinkPad T480 Laptop for power and display.

However the monitor does not turn on unless I connect the power cable as well as the usb c cable.

Is there an issue with my laptop firmware ? 

Yastheel

Hi there Yatheel,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

It should be possible to power the external monitor through one of your USB-C's , however, not all of them.

Firstly, the port specs for the ThinkPad T480 are as follow: 

• Two USB 3.1 Gen 1 (one Always On),
  • One USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 1 (with the function of Power Delivery and DisplayPort),
  • One USB 3.1 Type-C Gen 2 / Thunderbolt 3 (with the function of PD and DP),

So you have two USB-C 3.1 Gen 1 and 2 that functions as Power Delivery and DisplayPort.

(Check the USB-C input for a DisplayPort logo next to it. Looks like an encased P.)

The second thing you need to be aware of is that the Monitor in question needs a minimum of : 

Power Consumption (On mode)

• 18 W

Thirdly, Power Delivery from a Alt-Mode USB-C type is starts at the 5V setting and is configurable up to 20V. Using a standard USB-C cable. 

It can however handle up to 60W, and will go up to 100W using a designated EMCA cable

This of course in turn, depends on the power supplied by the battery and/or AC adapter.

If you are running this purely on battery power, then that might be the issue, and the battery can not support it alone.

Make sure the AC adapter is connected. 

Checking the Monitor you bought, there is a USB-C cable that comes with it, so I would assume it has the necessary power delivery capabilities to provide the needed 18W for it to power on. 

It could also be that it is reversed somehow, and that you can power the laptop by having the Monitor plugged into it's power cable. Try this and let me know as I am eager to figure this out myself.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete