Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

14 Posts

08-26-2016

Belgium

31 Signins

218 Page Views

• Views: 218
  • Message 1 of 5

Factory reset on T520

2018-10-07, 19:53 PM

Hi,

Given the issues I have with an incomplete Win 10 upgrade, I'm considering a factory reset to the restore image, using the Lenovo_Recovery partition of my T520 laptop, which contains a full image.  However, due to some manipulations in the past I don't remember, it appears that the Lenovo_Recovery partition isn't marked as 'Recovery' while an empty raw partition is.

See picture here below (fyi: the C: drive now hosts a Windows 10 partition).

When I start/reboot the laptop while pressing the Thinkvantage blue button (or pressing F1 at boot), I don't have the option to select any Restore & Recovery process or partition. Is there something I can fix in some way in order to apply the factory reset ?  

UPDATE:

I've mounted and peeked into the Q: drive (Lenovo_Recovery) and it mainly contains:

• a program LenovoQDrive.exe which creates Recovery Media (which when started offers to create Recovery Media)
  • a folder FactoryRecovery which contains two .WIM files (Windows disk image files) named cdrivebackup.wim (13,4 GB) and sdrivebackup.wim (321 MB), along with a configuration file RECOVERY.INI which I copy here below. I could open the two WIM files and they pretty look like partition images of some inital S: (boot) and C: (Win7 OS) drives.

It appears that this Q: partition isn't really a recovery and recovery partition, but a backup of the DVD images to use to perform de factory reset by copying the images back as-is, correct ?

Thanks for your advice, hints and tips!

Paul

[partition1]
size=1199
type=07
label=SYSTEM_DRV
volume=S
active=1
recfromsp=0
imagename=Sdrivebackup.wim
install=iuimagex.exe /apply /verify Q:\factoryrecovery\Sdrivebackup.wim 1 S:\
installsplit=iuimagex.exe /apply /verify Q:\factoryrecovery\Sdrivebackup.swm 1 S:\ /ref Q:\factoryrecovery\Sdrivebackup*.swm
[partition2]size=
type=07
label=Windows7_OS
volume=C
active=0
recfromsp=0
imagename=Cdrivebackup.wim
install=iuimagex.exe /apply /verify Q:\factoryrecovery\Cdrivebackup.wim 1 C:\
installsplit=iuimagex.exe /apply /verify Q:\factoryrecovery\Cdrivebackup.swm 1 C:\ /ref Q:\factoryrecovery\Cdrivebackup*.swm
[partition3]size=15999
type=07
label=Lenovo_Recovery
volume=Q
active=0
recfromsp=0
imagename=Qdrivebackup.wim
install=iuimagex.exe /apply /verify Q:\factoryrecovery\Qdrivebackup.wim 1 Q:\
installsplit=iuimagex.exe /apply /verify Q:\factoryrecovery\Qdrivebackup.swm 1 Q:\ /ref Q:\factoryrecovery\Qdrivebackup*.swm

Options

466 Posts

05-28-2017

Canada

527 Signins

3503 Page Views

• Views: 3503
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: Factory reset on T520

2018-10-09, 1:09 AM

I guess you did not make DVD copy of the recovery back when the machine was new?

I own: T400 T500 X220 running Windows 10 x64 & My X230 runs Linux for my webserver
Options

14 Posts

08-26-2016

Belgium

31 Signins

218 Page Views

• Views: 218
  • Message 3 of 5

2018-10-09, 14:18 PM

wrote:

I guess you did not make DVD copy of the recovery back when the machine was new?

Indeed I didn't. But I've run it manually from the Q: partition with the program that the Thinkvantage tools launches when proposing to create the recovery media. So I *do* have a boot and repair CD (presumably image from the S: partition if my reading of the script is correct) and have made an ISO (presumably the image from the C: partition, at least its size matches) which I've 'burnt' on a bootable USB disk (via a Zalman device, if you're familiar with that). So presumably I'm kind of at the *same* point as if I did take the copies of the 'recovery' back then imo.

Running the boot and repair cd detected a need to repair a (missing) partition but still that didn't bring back any additional capability : when feeding it the USB disk it doesn't identify a recovery image/partition to use and apply as factory reset, but I have no idea why.

I even tried to boot straight from the USB but after 1/2 hour wait time i gave up (the usb disk led was heavily flickering like on a usual data load, but the screen remained blank (or black should I say) for the whole time).

The question is, why does the boot and recovery CD not recognise the partition on the USB disk (the BIOS does see the connected disk)?  :-/

Options

466 Posts

05-28-2017

Canada

527 Signins

3503 Page Views

• Views: 3503
  • Message 4 of 5

2018-10-13, 23:02 PM

it costs a lot of pesos to bundle recovery disks with a machine, so to push costs to consumers they use a hard disk partition

problem is not many have a spindle of blanks handy to make recovery disks

i have a USB DVD disk i have used a lot to make recovery disks for machines in the shop so in case the client wants to recover the OS to factory

I own: T400 T500 X220 running Windows 10 x64 & My X230 runs Linux for my webserver
Options

2 Posts

03-31-2019

Canada

1 Signins

143 Page Views

• Views: 143
  • Message 5 of 5

2019-03-31, 15:51 PM

Thank you for your post!!

I have a Thinkpad T520 with pre-installed win7, but after accidentally updated to win10, the blue thinkvantage button on the keyboard does not work anymore. And I even cannot use it to recover to win7 factory setting. I really do not like win10 and want to downgrade to win7.

Could you please give some ideas? thank you so much!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)