Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

84 Posts

12-09-2009

United States of America

584 Signins

1911 Page Views

• Views: 1911
  • Message 1 of 3

Failed repair of brand new machine: what would you do?

2010-01-05, 1:42 AM

Hi everyone,

In mid December I received a new T400s. The LAN and the internal speakers were not working. I sent it away for repair. The speakers were repaired, but the LAN still does not work, which is bad enough. But incredibly, the technician downgraded the CPU to a slower model while it was being repaired!! My initial thought was to have it sent away for repair for the 2nd time. But now I'm wondering if I should try to simply get my money back. If they stick another system board (with the CPU soldered in there) I guess I'm going to be getting a reconditioned part, which means my "new" machine will not be new at all.  That's unnerving. I don't know if Lenovo would accept a return at this stage or not; I also worry that I will lose the good deal I got with the discounts they had last November.

Does anyone have any suggestions or observations?

Thanks.

Damon

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: Failed repair of brand new machine: what would you do?

2010-01-05, 7:49 AM

You should call Lenovo and inform them of this problem (depot is a subcontractor and not operated by Lenovo), they will have to collect this data and prevent such things happening again the next time around.

The CPU on the T400s is physically soldered to your motherboard, so the technician have put in the wrong motherboard. Due to the age of T400s, there shouldn't be any refurb motherboard as of yet. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

84 Posts

12-09-2009

United States of America

584 Signins

1911 Page Views

• Views: 1911
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: Failed repair of brand new machine: what would you do?

2010-01-05, 23:55 PM

It's reassuring that the likelihood of refurbished parts being used is low! That makes me feel a lot better, thanks. Furthermore, I didn't realise that depot is a subcontractor. That may explain why I got phone calls from two different area codes asking if I wanted my hard drive reimaged (no thanks).

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms