Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

06-27-2014

North Carolina, USA

7 Signins

71 Page Views

• Views: 71
  • Message 1 of 6

Fix battery firmware for T430s under Linux?

2014-06-27, 22:52 PM

Hi,

I have a T430s with a defective battery -- its a known problem where the batteries "indicate an incorrect full charge capacity value".  The result is that the laptop shuts down when the battery isn't empty.  Currently, mine shuts down when the charge gets down to 30%.

There is a firmware updater -- but it only works on Windows (e.g. there is not bootable CD you can use).  I have (only) Linux installed, so I can't use this.  After shuttling me around between different support services, they told me that they can't help because (a) the laptop is under warranty, but (b) the battery is no longer under warranty.  They also couldn't tell me which battery parts do not have this problem.

I tried "hiren's boot cd", which has a "mini XP" that runs from memory.  I tried to run the firmware update tool from this XP, but it refuses to do anything :-(  Its unclear which version of windows will even run the firmware updater!

Does anyone know of any way I could update the battery firmware?

-BenRI

Options

353 Posts

03-29-2008

609 Signins

9408 Page Views

• Message 2 of 6

Re: Fix battery firmware for T430s under Linux?

2014-06-28, 16:25 PM

You can try using the Windows Preinstallation Environment; it helps me upgrading the management engine on both my T430s and my X201. Remember that upgrading the battery firmware requires not only the firmware updater but also the power management driver.

Options

5 Posts

06-27-2014

North Carolina, USA

7 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 3 of 6

2014-06-28, 19:17 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  Do you think the Windows Preinstallation Environment includes the power management driver?  Or, is this only in Lenovo preinstalled images?

Options

353 Posts

03-29-2008

609 Signins

9408 Page Views

• Message 4 of 6

2014-06-29, 17:26 PM

It does not include required drivers. Just follow the instructions to build a Windows PE bootable CD-ROM and provide anything you need on a USB flash drive. Drivers are available at Lenovo support site.

Options

5 Posts

06-27-2014

North Carolina, USA

7 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2014-07-05, 14:41 PM

The web page on thinkwiki.org was helpful because it described how to create a WinPE image without leaving Linux.

However, it didn't work for two reasons:

(1) the firmware updater refused to run because it could not find oledlg.dll

(2) installing the power manager (guu403ww.exe) needed > 100Mb of disk space.  However, the RAM disk only had about 20Mb free.

Even if #2 was fixed, it seems that the firmware updater won't run -- unless the power manager also installs oledlg.dll.

This is a similar problem to the problem I had with "Hiren's boot CD" -- I think there also an OLE-related DLL was missing, although I'm not sure if it was the same one.

Any suggestions?

Options

5 Posts

06-27-2014

North Carolina, USA

7 Signins

71 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

2014-07-05, 15:29 PM

OK, I solved the problem with missing oledlg.dll.

The firmware updater's graphical shell now runs, but says that the system isn't configured for battery firmware update.  It  doesn't even check to see if the battery is supported.

This might be because, after installing the Lenovo power management driver, the installer asks if I want to reboot the system, and I say "no", since that would simply erase any changes.

Or it might be because I haven't succeeded installing the Power Manger (different from the power management driver) yet.

Thoughts?

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms