Options

0 Posts

06-27-2020

US

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 3

Help with Bluetooth Device error? (T520)

2020-06-27, 1:29 AM

I'm trying to help my dad with some or other Bluetooth device, but I don't know anything about Bluetooth. I think my first step is to make sure his laptop (a Lenovo Thinkpad T520) has Bluetooth on it. But I'm getting an error in the Device Manager. Here are two screenshots:

• https://i.imgur.com/gqV8oMr.png
   • https://i.imgur.com/mDwZYSJ.png

As you can see, in the Device Manager, under Network adapters, there's something labeled "Bluetooth Device (RFCOMM Protocol TDI)" and it has a yellow exclamation mark warning on it. When I right-click and look at its Properties, I see the Device status "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I'm unable to update the drivers and can give more information if needed.

Does anyone know how to proceed? Thanks!

Options

3656 Posts

12-11-2015

US

4305 Signins

48297 Page Views

• Views: 48297
  • Message 2 of 3

Re:Help with Bluetooth Device error? (T520)

2020-06-27, 5:14 AM

It looks like that model has an old Intel Centrino N 6205 wireless card, and per Intel that card does not have integrated Bluetooth.

If the WiFi is working to your fathers satisfaction but he would like to use Bluetooth some bluetooth speakers or headphones, I would consider a small USB Bluetooth adapter as a possible solution. 

Here is an example on Amazon.com, but you may be able to find one locally at Best Buy etc. too. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DJ83070?tag=techlounge0f-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Cheers, 

Options

8079 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77130 Signins

2181959 Page Views

• Views: 2181959
  • Message 3 of 3

Re:Help with Bluetooth Device error? (T520)

2020-06-27, 19:21 PM

ThinkPads of that vintage used a separate Bluetooth daughter card cabled to the motherboard.  It may be missing or defective.  It could also be disabled in BIOS.

Have a look at BIOS Setup -> Security -> I/O Port Access -> Bluetooth just in case.

Otherwise, the suggestion of an external adapter is a simple work-around.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete