Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

11-20-2011

Germany

3 Signins

32 Page Views

• Views: 32
  • Message 1 of 3

How do I edit my wireless driver to connect to other channels?

2011-11-20, 12:10 PM

I recently moved to Germany and just bought a T510 there, with Win 7 Pro.

I set up the OS in English and downloaded all the drivers from the Irish Lenovo website because I don't have much German.

Now I find that I can't connect to my German in-laws wireless router because it is broadcasting on channel 48 at 5 GHz and we don't use that channel in Ireland.

I uninstalled my wireless driver and reinstalled the same one from the German Lenovo website, assuming that it would be preset to detect all German wifi channels. It is not working though.

My German wireless card will not pick up German wireless channels.

I have found lots of advice on changing the channel the router broadcasts on but I am not interested in that as it is not my router and I don't want to mess it up.

Surely there is some way to fix the registry files to open all channels or something along those lines.

I would really appreciate any help, I've been trying to fix this for ages and nothing is working.

Options

549 Posts

01-22-2008

United States of America

4067 Signins

22755 Page Views

• Views: 22755
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: How do I edit my wireless driver to connect to other channels?

2011-11-20, 13:33 PM

Channel 48? US WiFi uses channels 1-11. European spec allows for channels 1-14.I'm guessing your in-laws' router is sitting up at channel 12 or higher. I don't think you'll be able to change your computer's adapter so the only real choice is a change at the router. Using channels 5,8 or 11 should not represent a problem to you or your in-laws and their machine should autoselct and connect to the new router configuration with no problem.

I think the channel assignments are hard coded in hardware and you're not going to add channels via a driver update.

Get a copy of netstumbler from http://www.netstumbler.com/downloads/ and get a more accurate picture of what frequency your in-laws' router is really operating at.

Options

5663 Posts

04-25-2008

United States of America

40116 Signins

771944 Page Views

• Views: 771944
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: How do I edit my wireless driver to connect to other channels?

2011-11-20, 14:46 PM

Hi lazyninja, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Which exact T510 model and type of wireless card do you have?

Some T510 WiFi cards don't operate in the 5GHz band.

The WiFi channel situation gets more complicated at 5GHz, but I think it's the same throughout Europe.

USB-C: Just cos it fits don't mean it works.
I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms