Options

2 Posts

09-29-2020

SE

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

How long are computers supported with new drivers?

2020-09-29, 8:15 AM

Hi,

We have a lot of older laptops and wondering how can I know that new drivers are delivered for newer Windows 10 feature updates?
How can I know that our laptops work with future Windows 10 feature updates? Replacement needs budgeting and computers can´t be changed swiftly.
This is not just concerning laptops but also desktops, examples are T450, T460, M900, M910.

Regards

Niklas

Options

1288 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

148 Signins

6866 Page Views

• Views: 6866
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:How long are computers supported with new drivers?

2020-09-29, 8:39 AM

Hi NiklasA,

Since Windows does not normally announce why, what or where they usually toss in a Windows Update, it's usually takes some time for the laptop brands to catch up on their end to make things compatible. So it's actually kind of impossible to say, which is why I always suggest running the setting below in Windows, so that Windows Updates do not mess with hardware drivers at all, and you can stick to whenever the brands gets new OEM drivers out.

Disabling Automatic Hardware Driver update.

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

2 Posts

09-29-2020

SE

2 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-09-29, 9:16 AM

Thanks!   I´ll check that

But does Lenovo have any statement/recommendation on how long I can safely run specific models on Windows 10 before replacing them?
Or do you have any end of life page for specific models?

For instance driver packages for M900, think the latest is from early 2016 so no newer drivers for that model is coming out so do you consider that model to be end of life?

Options

8 Posts

10-08-2020

US

8 Signins

95 Page Views

• Views: 95
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-10-09, 0:05 AM

For core components of a computer (chipsets, video adapters, etc) the driver will be included with Windows eventually and stay there for years. I was running Windows 10 on a 2009 motherboard before upgrading last year. As a last resort you can force Windows to use drivers for older versions of Window. I'm still using a RAID card that was released in 2006 with the last driver in 2013 for Windows 8 and it works great!

I can't guarantee it but with the exceptions of printers I've been able to install Windows 10 on many old computers

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete