Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

12-10-2008

Winfield, IL

36 Signins

238 Page Views

• Views: 238
  • Message 1 of 1

Install media for Vista Home Basic?

2009-02-06, 14:50 PM

Can I get install media for Vista Home Basic?

Ordinarily I run Linux (Ubuntu 8.10) on my T500 but have the need to occasionally run software that is only available on Windows (Garmin Mapsource and map updates.) Unfortunately their S/W dows not run well on Wine and it is awkward to interrupt what I am doing and boot Vista. I would like to have a go at using this on Vista running as a guest in a VM like VirtualBox. In order to do that, I need to actually install Vista in the VM. I do not believe that the system recovery disks will work as the VM is not a T500.

I think that this is OK WRT the Windows license. Let me know if not. I intend to use this on the same physical H/W that is already licensed for Vista Home Basic.

I would actually prefer Windows XP, but as my T500 came with Vista Home Basic I think that would require additional license fees.

Incidentally, Linux runs quite nicely on this system. I think this has been the easiest laptop install yet since I first installed Linux on a 750Cs.

thanks,

hank

(Apologies for typos - my spell checker seems to not work with this form.)

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms