Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Views: 779
  • Message 1 of 14

Is this battery Counterfeit?

2015-05-20, 16:55 PM

Hello forum!

I have purchased a new battery from ebay for my new (used) Thinkpad T520.  am worried it might be fake.

Here is what is making me nervous:

1) Lenovo Logo covered with black sticker

2) Manufacture date on the barcode sticker does not match what Power Manager reads.

3) Barcode on the sticker does not match the bardcode in the Power Manger

4) The warning strip is kind of a bright yellow instead of an orange colour, found on all genuine batteries I have seen, e.g here

So what is your call? Is this FAKE?

LINK TO PICTURE

I would love to have some official response, so I can communicate it to Ebay Staff if I open a dispute

Admin Edit; Link to picture >100K converted to link.  About posting pictures in the forums

Solved! See the solution
Options

12947 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17864 Signins

178075 Page Views

• Views: 178075
  • Message 2 of 14

Re: Is this battery Counterfeit?

2015-05-20, 21:51 PM
Hi

It's a fake, with label well done.
There is an invalid symbol "O" in the bar code.

I think "manufacturer" or seller is afraid of persecution by Lenovo, so hides Lenovo TM.

Try do not forward the real reason to the seller (I mean invalid symbol) in order do not train culprits to produce fakes better.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Message 3 of 14

2015-05-20, 22:29 PM
Thank you for your response.

You mean to say that "O" is by default not used in the barcode?

Had no idea myself; quite useful way to distinguish genuine from fake, thank you.

The Seller does have the logo covered up in the actual product, but in the ebay listing, it is displayed just fine, so I am not sure he is protecting himself adequately.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111629254632

I guess trying to fake a genuine battery is a way to increase the price of the product, otherwise the battery does not seem to be holding up bad in this first discharging round I have it running now...
...what I mean to say is that it's meant to actually fool you it is a genuine..the Seller is hoping to make sales of this item, and not just sell of a few plastic pieces filled with rocks or anything.

But of course time and use would be the judge of a lower quality battery.

I guess 40$ is too good to be true.
Options

12947 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17864 Signins

178075 Page Views

• Message 4 of 14

2015-05-20, 22:48 PM
> You mean to say that "O" is by default not used in the barcode?

Not only "O" symbol is invalid for using in the bar-code. There are several such symbols. But on the label you've provided we see "O". It's invalid for Lenovo genuine battery.

Even good seller might not to know about faked product, especially if it's well done.

You can forward arguments mentioned in the previouse post, when compared battery label data with PM data.

Faked battery usage is very dangerously. Not less time life or voltage or charge value is a reason. But fire, explosion, over heat etc.

T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Message 5 of 14

2015-05-21, 8:28 AM

Thank you very much for you input.

I think I have discovered another counterfeit giveaway.

On the battery, beneath the covered Lenovo Logo, it is says "cells made in Japan".

Just above the Barcode sticker it says the battery is made by Sanyo (Japanese company)

But then right next to it, it says Lenovo Korea

And the the PM reads the manufacturer as "LGC", which I am guessing stands for LG Company, which is again Korean.

It guess it is not usual that Manufacturer is said to be both Korean and Japanese, the cells to have been made in Japan and this item to come from "Lenovo Korea LLC".

Something does not seem right about this.

But surely we have the definitive giveaway of the invalid symbols as @x220forme pointed out.

Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Message 6 of 14

2015-05-21, 22:02 PM
Well, I heard back from the Seller.

He, of course, refunded me in full before I opened any dispute against him.

He was however adamant that the batteries that he sells are in fact Sanyo and LG made with Japanese and Korean battery cells (challenged me to test with professional equipment or open them up), insinuating that they are lower grade than the ones released with with Lenovo's logo, but they are still very superior to "replacement" batteries.

The concept itself, that LG/Sanyo might make their "not in par" products available to the aftermarket business, is not absurd to me.

But even if he is telling the truth, it is still an issue whether their "lower" grading means that by not meeting specifications they are in fact dangerous, OR they are just not "up there" wth the rest of them.

In his defense, the battery lasted over 8 hours of continuous WIFI usage, including 1:30 hour of 480p video watching and about 8hours of standby; and it was still at 13% when I shut the laptop.

It did so supporting a 1600*900 screen at 6th level brightnet, 3 disks (one msata and two hdds), a 6205 Wifi card running continuously, an Intel i5 2520M cpu and 4GB (2*2) of ram.

I don't count that as bad at all.
Options

12947 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17864 Signins

178075 Page Views

• Message 7 of 14

2015-05-21, 22:42 PM
In my opinion, the seller or producer might claim and promise everything they want. But if they have produced are selling legal, genuine product, or even product "for replacement", with Lenovo's p/ns, labels etc, why they'e hiding official Lenovo logo, Trade Mark and Registered Mark logos? What are they afraid if the product is legal? Why bar code is invalid? Or may be this product was stolen?

FYI, p/n labeled ASM means "Assembled p/n", i.e.laptop parts for its production. ASM p/n isn't one of "replaicement" part (in terms of Lenovo - service p/n, FRU). To be honest, FRU p/n (45N1001) is placed over ASM p/n and hided too.

Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Message 8 of 14

2015-05-22, 5:42 AM

Sure, I wasn't claiming the Seller is right.

Just that theoretically, the argument is not absurd. But of course he is probably using an argument that has some degree of probability, that sounds probable in order to convince me not to let Ebay know that he is selling counterfeit goods.

But as I said before, the nature of the scam is not that e.g. he is selling plastic covers with stones in them, but batteries that might fool someone they are genuine.

And Power Manager does not produce that baloon tip (that others have indicated) that the battery is not genuine.
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkVantage-Technologies/Power-Manager-Guage-Genuine-Lenovo-Battery-Not-Attached/td-p/856

And first use at least, does not seem problematic at all.

Surely, had they not hidden the logo, I would not have become suspicious and looked into the matter to find the discrepancies between the barcodes and manufacture dates.

It's a "well faked" product I mean.

Options

12947 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17864 Signins

178075 Page Views

• Message 9 of 14

2015-05-22, 7:54 AM
hexis wrote:

> But of course he is probably using an argument that has some degree of probability, that sounds probable in order to convince me not to let Ebay know that he is selling counterfeit goods.

I agree, completely.

> ...but batteries that might fool someone they are genuine.

Sure

Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Message 10 of 14

2015-05-23, 11:38 AM
What would be your opinion regarding what to do with the battery now?

- Should I throw it away?
- Should I keep it as backup?
- Should I sell it? (not as genuine of course :)

Honestly I rarely use the battery (although when i do, I need all the juice I can get, still very rarely), so I would have trouble keeping even my main battery in proper shape...so I am leaning towards selling it.

On the other hand, if I would be endagering some else's equipment, that would not be a good idea either.

So what would you do with it?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms