06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17842 Signins

177790 Page Views

• Views: 177790
  • Message 11 of 14

Re: Is this battery Counterfeit?

2015-05-23, 12:37 PM
My answer could depend of the real reason manufacturer (or seller) hid legal logos (note, they don't show the real battery photo on the site, for promo).

Is it a genuine battery for Lenovo, with genuine cells, controller, other parts, technology and production control, but stolen from the factory, with a label re-stuck? Is it a completely fake, with just a label claiming Lenovo, Sanyo, LG?

I'm sure you've found the answer yourself - battery parameters on the label don't match Lenovo Power Manager shows. Again, take a note, not every customer could find such parameters, PM doesn't work under win8, for example. That's one of the reason the seller doesn't afraid parameters mismatching could be reveal.

Regarding Lenovo attention to the battery quality, potential issues, even with the smallest chances:
read the following page
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/ht004883
and especially the recent one
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/documents/hf004122

Are you ready to compromise your laptop or more serious things, even in the theory? That's the answer for me what to choose.

I'm completely sure any buyer of such buttery will win the legal process against the seller and manufacturer, even w/o Lenovo envolvement, with gaint compensation, because of the frank cheating and the risk for fire, health, life etc. Not a big deal.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Views: 779
  • Message 12 of 14

2015-05-23, 13:07 PM

Yes, the PM reads different data. But does this mean
- the battery cells etc are NOT genuine ?
- or that they stuck their own label on a battery that does in fact come from a Sanyo, LG plant? (barcode data does not match, but PM still reads this as "LGC" manufactured etc)

Still I am not absolutely sure.

...by the way, I downloaded and ran the battery recall apps of both of these articles even before I deduced it might be fake, and none of these software gave any indication that they are not genuine.
I understand of course this was not their function, but the message could be different
- if the battery is not genuine
- if the battery is not affected by the recall

Speaking of that, it would be GREAT if Lenovo released a software that would detect fake batteries, e.g. based on their database of registered battery firmwares, barcodes etc,
- in a way that is definitive
- that does not educate the Scammers to produce better fakes (e.g. it would not tell the user what they need to check, what symbols are invalid in the barcode etc, it would just give a definitive answer)

Options

12914 Posts

06-06-2011

Russian Federation

17842 Signins

177790 Page Views

• Views: 177790
  • Message 13 of 14

2015-05-23, 13:37 PM
The tool on the recall page has another purpose, so, definitely, it doesn't know anything about not Lenovo batteries. That looks logically, doesn't it?

Also, I'm sure any vendor has the tools for hardware inspection (in terms of legality) for internal usage only. And it's logically as well.

What for to learn the scammers, to inform them vendor's internal rules, specifications?

Some time ago faked battery labels looked very roughly, even with typos in the text (there is a lot of threads regarding faked batteries, chargers). Your case differs, scammers are learning.

x220 • Gobi 2000 3g | hdd, msata ssd, wwan, wifi, gps -- unique config
ThinkPad 25 Special Anniversary Edition. #Retro. Signed by D.Hill
T470p | X1 Carbon Gen3 | Miix 2 10" | Yoga Tablet 2-1050F (Android) + BT Keyboard
ThinkPad Stack • 2.4/5 Wireless Router, HDD 1 TB, BT Speaker, Power Bank, Mobile Projector

Do it well, worse becomes itself

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Portugues    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

Options

65 Posts

04-27-2013

Greece

175 Signins

779 Page Views

• Views: 779
  • Message 14 of 14

2015-05-23, 13:56 PM
Yes I recognize and said that, that the tools on the recall pages have another purpose, but when I ran them both, they said "your battery is not affected" or something

I would assume it would be better to say "could not check", or "battery not recognized" or whatever if the battery does not seem compatible at all.

I was just wondering if it would be possible for the software to RECOGNIZE fake batteries WITHOUT INFORMING Scammers.
e.g. would it be possible to connect to an encrypted database of registered (barcode/firmware) batteries and just tell the user whether or not his battery is genuine or fake?

I don't know if that is possible at all, I just expressed my opinion that it might be very helpful for Customers.

if such software were possible it could be integrated into Power Manager even.

An expression of wishes, that is all.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms