Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

8 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

70 Page Views

• Views: 70
  • Message 1 of 7

Keyboard configuration for CTRL FN placement

2020-03-21, 8:25 AM

The keyboard in the T490 is swappable. Can Lenovo give us a configuration option where the relative placement of the bottom left CTRL and FN keys matches your ThinkBooks, your other PC products and basically the rest of the world? You let us choose English/Spanish, Backlit/Non-Backlit. I can't figure why you can't include a keyboard with the CTRL and FN placement that is actually normal. Like the Backlit configuration that costs $36 more, you can just give us an option to have the CTRL to the left of the FN and put an upgrade price on it.

Options

8 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re:Keyboard configuration for CTRL FN placement

2020-03-25, 16:07 PM

Was frustrated with the FN CTRL placement and came across this official Knowledge Base article that tries to "justify" why the FN is on the left.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-T400-T500-and-newer-T-series-Laptops-Knowledge-Base/Why-is-the-FN-key-on-the-outside-left-instead-of-CTRL/m-p/359099

ThinkLight usage was stated as a reason for the arrangement, which is totally irrelevant. It has already been YEARS since Lenovo killed off the ThinkLight.

Not only that, the knowledge base article also repeatedly try to say that the IdeaPad line has such a placement too, which is completely FALSE. The IdeaPads always have the CTRL FN placement like all the other laptops in the world and never had this awkward FN to the left placement.

IdeaPad is your own product and you don't even know its own characteristic. This article is in the official Knowledge Base on the knowledge base front page! How can you Lenovo accept such subpar standard in the knowledge base, and the team behind the keyboard layout for that matter?

You don't seem to care at all

Options

29 Posts

08-10-2016

Canada

65 Signins

894 Page Views

• Views: 894
  • Message 3 of 7

2020-03-25, 21:31 PM

@MuzDen did you know you can "swap" the two keys functionality?  The keycaps will still be "Fn" on left and "Ctrl" on right, but they will behave as if it was "Ctrl" on the left and "Fn" on the right.  Particularly if you're a touch typist with lots of muscle memory built up, and/or move beween your ThinkPad and other device(s) with the "correct" layout, this can be a great help!  

EDIT: I should add, I'm on my 3rd thinkPad (got T510 in 2010, got a T470s (from employer) in 2017 or 2018, and a P53s just a month or so ago), and this is was a required configuration change for me as soon as each came out of the box.  I can live with it swapped by configuration, BUT, it would indeed be nice if Lenovo either abandoned this backward placement entirely, or at least offered it as a build-to-order config.  I think really is a great idea.

Options

8 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2020-03-26, 16:17 PM

@ImprovedName, thanks for your input. Yes, I do know about the swap functionality, but the key sizes will then not be ideal. Furthermore, the labeling will also be wrong and it can be jarring when we glance at the keyboard from time to time. It will also create much confusion and frustration when others need to use our laptop.

The repairability/replaceability of the keyboard is a significant merit of the ThinkPad T series. Having the the CTRL FN placement as an option during configuration is just the logical solution.

Options

8 Posts

03-21-2020

United States of America

5 Signins

70 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-03-28, 11:08 AM

Reading through the forums, I learnt from another user that the Lenovo Norwegian configuration page offers 12 (!) choices of keyboards for its customers.

https://www.lenovo.com/no/no/laptops/thinkpad/t-series/ThinkPad-T480s/p/20L7CTO1WWNONO0/customize?recommendRemark1-recommendUnitToggle=false&recommendRemark2-isLoginForSMB=false&recommendRemark3-isItdmForSMB=false

This shows that offering a keyboard option with the CTRL key to the left of FN is entirely feasible. Lenovo, when can you start to do it?

Options

8 Posts

04-11-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 6 of 7

2020-04-11, 5:12 AM

Not to mention all 3 keyboard standards, ISO, ANSI and JIS have the ctrl key at the bottom left.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Physical_keyboard_layouts_comparison_ANSI_ISO_JIS.png

Why is this ctrl key location still not an option yet?!

Options

8 Posts

04-11-2020

United States of America

8 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 7 of 7

2020-05-26, 11:30 AM

Once upon a time, IBM (Thinkpad's progenitor) actually got the left Ctrl key right.

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/go3gjz/ibm_m41/

and a version in black that looks so right:

http://www.clickykeyboard.com/2006/sep012006/sep012006-004.jpg

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms