Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

12-13-2018

United States of America

1 Signins

16 Page Views

• Views: 16
  • Message 1 of 2

Lenovo Recovery, Win 7, EVO 860 installation question - T530

2018-12-13, 16:29 PM

My mom has a T530 that just had the hard drive fail.  So it seems.  The hard drive is a 320GB Toshiba MQ01ABF032.  When trying to boot, it goes to the splash screen, then black screen and hangs.  I connected the drive to a USB cable and could see the contents of the drive so I bought a Samsung EVO 500GB SSD and figured I'd clone it.  About half through cloning, it crashes, apparently can't read a sector.  I figured I can clone the recovery partition and copy whatever I can later.  I didn't try to repair the disk because I was afraid of losing the data before copying important files. I cloned the recovery partition only but not the windows partition, as I can't.  I tried to boot off the new drive but it wouldn't.  Forgive me if I'm naive, but to boot and reinstall,  I suppose I'll need a windows partition too? If that's the case, can I clone the recovery partition from this computer along with the windows partition from my T430? Can anyone give me the steps to get this new drive running?  Thanks. 

Options

9073 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77876 Signins

2233015 Page Views

• Views: 2233015
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Lenovo Recovery, Win 7, EVO 860 installation question - T530

2018-12-13, 17:28 PM

Hello and welcome,

Since you have a similar machine, it might be easiest to create recovery media (if you haven't already...) on your laptop and use that to install to the new SSD in your mom's laptop. Then you can copy over the data from the failing drive.

How recovery media is created varies depending on the OS on your machine - but there should be tools in place to do that.  Much easier than trying to salvage the recovery partition from a  failing drive - if that's even possible.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)