08-09-2020

GB

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo T430s Dead - Battery Led Flash 3 Times - Battery Removed - NO Power LED

2020-08-09, 11:09 AM

I have a T430s and sudenly it stopped working as it would not switch on at all.  I spent a few hours trying a number of thing to try and restore functionality, this is a summary of my problem as it stand now:-

1.  I removed the main battery, then plugged in the power adaptor.  The result was that the battery LED flashed green 3 times, but with no other activity.
  2. I then removed the power adaptor and CMOS battery, the power adaptor was plugged back in and the laptop screen displayed a CMOS error and invited entry into the BIOS setup to reset the clock.
  3. The CMOS battery was plugged back in.
  4. Using the built in keyboard it was not possible to navigate to the setup functions so an external USB keyboard was used to set the clock and restore defaults. 
  5. The settings were saved and laptop rebooted.
  6. The OS started up correctly, but I could not navigate to my login with the built in keyboad also some of the letter keys were not working when I tried my password. 
  7. I used the external USB keyboard to log in successfully and tested all of the keys of the built in keyboard.  I found many keys did not work.
  8. My conclusion is that a new keyboard is required.

I would like to know whether my conclusion is right before I buy a new keyboard. 

Thank you.

Options

3277 Posts

12-22-2008

CA

12331 Signins

177544 Page Views

• Views: 177544
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Lenovo T430s Dead - Battery Led Flash 3 Times - Battery Removed - NO Power LED

2020-08-09, 12:46 PM

@ bowgart wrote:

I have a T430s and sudenly it stopped working as it would not switch on at all.  I spent a few hours trying a number of thing to try and restore functionality, this is a summary of my problem as it stand now:-

1. I removed the main battery, then plugged in the power adaptor.  The result was that the battery LED flashed green 3 times, but with no other activity.
  2. I then removed the power adaptor and CMOS battery, the power adaptor was plugged back in and the laptop screen displayed a CMOS error and invited entry into the BIOS setup to reset the clock.
  3. The CMOS battery was plugged back in.
  4. Using the built in keyboard it was not possible to navigate to the setup functions so an external USB keyboard was used to set the clock and restore defaults.
  5. The settings were saved and laptop rebooted.
  6. The OS started up correctly, but I could not navigate to my login with the built in keyboad also some of the letter keys were not working when I tried my password.
  7. I used the external USB keyboard to log in successfully and tested all of the keys of the built in keyboard.  I found many keys did not work.
  8. My conclusion is that a new keyboard is required.

I would like to know whether my conclusion is right before I buy a new keyboard.

Thank you.

Welcome to the forum.

From your description I agree that the keyboard is the prime suspect. But before replacing it I would check that the cables that connect the keyboard to the system are inserted correctly and are firmly seated. A loose connection or a cracked/broken cable could also account for the symptoms you're seeing. 

Using Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community
Options

2 Posts

08-09-2020

GB

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:Lenovo T430s Dead - Battery Led Flash 3 Times - Battery Removed - NO Power LED

2020-08-12, 10:39 AM

Thank you.

Options

11291 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39733 Signins

415568 Page Views

• Views: 415568
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-08-12, 15:21 PM

If you don't know the history of the laptop, I would do more of an examination.  Having a start-up issue AND the keyboard makes me wonder whether there was a chance of a liquid spill that damaged the keyboard and also got through to the power circuitry.  I don't like buying parts for machines I cannot fix.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete