BG

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 1 of 4

Lenovo Thinkpad T540 20BH BIOS Errors

2020-09-22, 10:15 AM

Hello,

I recently suffered from an electric shock to my Lenovo Thinkpad t540 20BH and the ac adapter is out as well as a flashing from the Ethernet port whenever I plug it into an adapter that works.

That isn't my issue, I'll get that sorted with a service to fix the broken parts.

But, I did give it to a local service and they decided to flash the BIOS because the fans would start going full power after a couple of minutes (which is a feature, I know) but they wouldn't stop going full power even when no programs were running.

But they didn't flash the BIOS properly, so now I get 4 errors whenever I turn on the laptop:

• Invalid RFID configuration information area;
  • Invalid RFID serialization information area;
  • Machine type and serial number are invalid
  • Machine UUID invalid.

My question is, how can I flash the BIOS properly from a flash drive in an offline mode and where can I find the required serial numbers of my laptop or is it enough to just copy them from somewhere?

Options

1262 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

146 Signins

6761 Page Views

• Views: 6761
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:Lenovo Thinkpad T540 20BH BIOS Errors

2020-09-22, 11:10 AM

Hi mikeclw,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Are you able to enter the BIOS at all ? If so, then please check that the Date & Time is correct, might fix the errors you are experiencing.

If you are unable to boot or enter BIOS and change the boot order and disabling the Secure Rollback Prevention, then flashing a BIOS using a USB Flash drive will be impossible.

The best possible chance would be to open up the device and physically flash the CMOS (lithium battery) of the device.

The Serial number should be on the original packaging the device came in, on the receipt or on the bottom of the laptop (S:N).

If you are successful at locating the serial number and also entering the BIOS, then I'd head over to the Support Page

Under Drivers & Software, then BIOS section, you can find the latest BIOS version. Expand the BIOS driver with the down arrow. Right Click then select "Copy Link Address"

Paste it into the URL section of the browser, then change the nr of the bios version  (ex: 8HCN36WW  to 8HCN35WW or 8HCN34WW) etc. Until you find the previous BIOS version.

See this detailed thread on BIOS recovery

(Some steps may differ, see second post)

Hope this helps.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

8515 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77397 Signins

2201594 Page Views

• Views: 2201594
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-09-22, 18:57 PM

@mikeclw  20BH is a W-series machine.  Do you have a T540 or a W540?

@Voithos  your link is for a Y540 Legion laptop.  Does that crisis recovery process also apply to ThinkPad BIOSen?

I wonder if the OP would get anywhere booting a BIOS CD?  The missing/incorrect data makes me think (wonder...) if it will take the maintenance "diskette" to sort this.

Sorry I don't have a fix...

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

1262 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

146 Signins

6761 Page Views

• Views: 6761
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-09-23, 7:59 AM

@ zoltanthegypsy @mikeclw 

The bios recovery link is close to identical except for step 4, on how to get into the BIOS and change boot order and such, as the BIOS is different from the Y540 to the ThinkPad T540. 

ThinkPads also enter the BIOS by repeatedly pressing F1 as far as I remember. 

Apart from that, as also mentioned in the link that it will differ, the general bios recovery procedure should be identical (Step 1, 3, 5, 7 and 8 in the link).

For step 2, you can find the BIOS version by plotting in your serial number on the Support Page

Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software then the BIOS and Chipset section

Follow my process on how to get a hold of previous BIOS versions above and Step 3 in the BIOS Recovery guide.

Slight alteration to Step 3.  The T540's BIOS Flash Back option is in the "Security" tab and called "Secure Rollback Prevention" and the "Boot" tab is called "Startup" on ThinkPads.

Step 6. I am not sure if this step works with ThinkPads, but it's worth a shot.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete