Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

6 Posts

11-09-2008

Allentown, PA

38 Signins

508 Page Views

• Views: 508
  • Message 1 of 2

Making a Vista Only Boot Disk

2008-11-26, 15:06 PM

Hello,

I received a T400 2764 CTO a few days ago and one of the first things I did was to create the 15 restore CDs. Now what I I would like to do is replace the original hard drive (with the three partitions) with a new, larger and faster drive that contains only the contents of the SW_Preload partition.

Unfortunately the Vista boot manager and its accompanying control files are on the SERVICE003 partition from which the T400 boots.

What procedure could I use to copy or image the SW_Preload partition to a new drive so it would be bootable by the T400, realizing that I would lose the use of the ThinkVantage function during booing. The original T400 hard drive would be kept for emergency use.

I have access to Acronis Home Version 11 and Ghost 11 and 14, and have a XP desktop PC and another Vista laptop.

Any and all help would be sincerely appreciated.

Paul

P.S. The T400 is an excellent laptop. I still have an older T42 that has served me very well over the last several years!

Options

6 Posts

11-09-2008

Allentown, PA

38 Signins

508 Page Views

• Views: 508
  • Message 2 of 2

Re: Making a Vista Only Boot Disk

2008-11-26, 19:39 PM

After spending several hours searching this forum and the Internet for help, fixing the problem took only a couple of minutes. There were many posts here and on other sites that described various approaches to solve the problem including several tutorials on BCDedit.

First I used Acronis Home Version 11 to copy only the SW_Preload partition to a new drive. Of course the disk would not boot because the BCD store was missing. To fix the problem I had the T400 boot from a DVD with Vista 64 Ultimate. After selecting the language options and then the "Repair your computer" option the program found the version of Vista on c:, reported that it was damaged and made the repair automatically.

Then the laptop restarted and the laptop booted correctly from the new hard drive.

Experts in Vista would probably not have had any problems fixing this problem but it was educational reading the various solutions.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms