Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

24 Posts

12-09-2008

United States of America

43 Signins

296 Page Views

• Views: 296
  • Message 1 of 4

Many TP and TV Processes and Services Running

2008-12-09, 2:18 AM

There are a *lot* of processes and services running on my new T500.   I talked to Lenovo Tech Support today and asked if there was a place/link I could see a list of what was running and what it was for. The "tech support" person told me that "I should leave al Lenovo/IBM processes and services and delete any 3rd party ones that are running"!!!  He referred me to MIGR-67520 which does have the list of drivers but no where what I really need to clean up my system to what I must have versus what is fluff.   Frankly, this person seemed clueless on many fronts and it is obvious the above "advice" is rather ridiculous.  

Where can I find a listing of all the pre-installed software, what the process or service name is, and what it does? 

Thanks

Options

31 Posts

12-09-2007

Cary, NC

32 Signins

351 Page Views

• Views: 351
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: Many TP and TV Processes and Services Running

2008-12-09, 9:31 AM

well, you might be able to find a list of pre-installed ThinkVantage software by starting at lenovo.com and going to Support and Downloads > Product Information (sidebar nav) > entering in your product number.

Another way, which I've done with success, is to actually just type the process name directly into Google and see what it is. 

Or, Start > Run > msconfig >  Startup

and expand the column  for 'Command'. You can see the path to where the service is located and it can give clues. If it's Synaptics, then it's related to the touchpad, for instance.

Options

24 Posts

12-09-2008

United States of America

43 Signins

296 Page Views

• Message 3 of 4

2008-12-09, 15:35 PM

Thanks... that's good advice.  I generally do all you describe but there is little information on the Lenovo specific things. MSConfig is a help in this, of course, but many of the names are cryptic and there isn't a clear mapping between it and what Task Manager shows as running processes.  There is even one listing in MSCONFIG with no name (has been stopped with no *apparent* problem).   

I can find the list of "downloads" for my system and a link to the latest level of each installer.  Since the installers contain cab files, even if I look at the files in the cab files, it isn't real clear how to translate the files contained into the processes and services that run.

Using System Information from XP gives some additional information.

Given enough time and effort with experimentation, this could all be figured out.  The problem is, all of this shouldn't be so mysteroious. The detailed information is clearly known by Lenovo and should be availabe to customers.   

Options

24 Posts

12-09-2008

United States of America

43 Signins

296 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2008-12-10, 15:48 PM

An update on this:

I have made a lot of progress tuning the system and getting down to a core set of processes and service that run.  Yesterday, I purchased an excellent utility called "The Ultimate Troubleshooter" (http://TheUltimateTroubleshooter.com) (standard disclaimer - I am not associated with this company).

The TUT database does unlined many of the Lenovo items and most others and gives much information and detailed recommendations on each one.  With it I was able to eliminate 17 (!) things that were running that I didn't need or want.

I am not done yet as there are still many things that are questionable. 

PS A side benefit is that the problem where desktop icons get moved when the lid is closed went away.  I *think* this was when I killed the Presentation Director and/or ATI Hotkey poller. 

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms