Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

5 Posts

01-30-2010

Israel

9 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 11 of 50

Re: My T400 Hangs a the boot stage

2010-01-30, 10:21 AM

Can anyone please offer any suggestions?  My T500 started doing this literally an hour ago.... out of nowhere.  I just installed this antivirus and it asked me to restart, and now this started happening.  But I installed the same antivirus on my other computer minutes afterwards, and that had no problems.

I am going to try what fmyhr said, but it looks like it has not worked for others, plus I am not even sure if I know how to do that.

Please help.. I called Lenovo and they said they will send a box on Monday or Tuesday... but it's going to take weeks for it to get back and I need my laptop for my classes!  Plus, no doubt they will erase all my data.

Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Views: 21182
  • Message 12 of 50

2010-01-30, 12:37 PM

Hi Kenny536,

Welcome to the Lenovo forum! :smileyhappy:

Sorry to hear of your trouble with your T500. It might  be helpful if you could post:

• Your T500's model type number (7 digits XXXX-YYY from label on bottom)
  • The OS you are running
  • Which antivirus you just installed

If you wait a long time, does your T500 eventually boot into Windows? If so, I'd recommend uninstalling the new antivirus software, perhaps it is causing some kind of conflict.

If you press the blue ThinkVantage button at boot, can you get to the Rescue and Recovery environment? If so, you could try recovering your ThinkPad. (More info on R&R is in the ThinkVantage Technologies board.)

You could burn the PC Doctor CD and try booting your T500 from it. Just to see if you're able to boot an OS other than the Windows on your hard drive.

Good luck!

-Frank

---------

Results of Your Ideal Business-Class Laptop survey, concluded 2009-07-29.

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Even better: Pay it forward, help someone else. :smileyhappy:
Options

5 Posts

01-30-2010

Israel

9 Signins

59 Page Views

• Message 13 of 50

2010-01-30, 16:13 PM

Hi.

- 2081CTO

- Windows 7 64-bit

- Avast Antivirus

No, it does not boot at all, no matter how long I wait.  I cannot get anywhere, just like the other guy.  I tried all the F keys and the blue vantage button. 

I tried inserting the Windows 7 OS CD in it but nothing happened.. I will try the PC Doctor CD.

Thanks for your help so far.

Options

5 Posts

01-30-2010

Israel

9 Signins

59 Page Views

• Message 14 of 50

2010-01-30, 21:17 PM

The PC Doctor thing did not do much. I was supposed to burn the .BIN and .IMA file to a cd right? 

You hear a sound like it's going to boot up the cd, you can hear it spinning - but all this is very brief, then it dies down and returns to its normal state.

I am going to try removing the hard drive and using an external chassis to hook up the hard drive to my desktop.. to at least back up my data if anything, hopefully that works.

Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Message 15 of 50

2010-01-30, 21:23 PM

Hi Kenny536,

PC Doctor comes as an .iso file that needs to be burned to CD using a "Burn Disc Image to CD" (or similarly named) function of your CD writing software.

Removing your hard drive and backing up your data to your desktop is an excellent idea. That way if you end up sending in your ThinkPad for service and the hard drive gets re-imaged you won't lose your data.

Best regards,

Frank

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Options

5 Posts

01-30-2010

Israel

9 Signins

59 Page Views

• Message 16 of 50

2010-01-30, 23:59 PM

I have a new problem :(.  And this one was my fault - I did something stupid.  I was attempting to back up my data via an external enclosure.  So I took my hard drive out of my laptop, but I completely broke off the data connector on the hard drive - the black cover that is covering the golden vertical strips... now the hard drive is useless because there is no data connector.. the golden strips are completely exposed and the black data connector cover is broken in 3 pieces.

I bought another 2.5 SATA laptop hard drive and put that into the laptop, but the same problem occurs.  I'm giving up on trying to fix my initial problem... atleast for now.  Right now, before I send it in a couple days, I want to back up the data on my hard drive.  But I cannot do that anymore because of the broken data cover.  There is no way I can fix this on my own.  What can I do to fix this?   

Please help. 

Options

1041 Posts

03-10-2009

Michigan

1453 Signins

21182 Page Views

• Message 17 of 50

2010-01-31, 12:17 PM

Kenny536,

Bummer. :smileysad:

It might help if you could take a picture or two of your broken hard drive, with some close-ups of the connector if possible. We have a 50kB limit on picture size in this forum, but you could upload bigger ones to photobucket (for example) and post links here, so that we can see better what the situation is.

The other thing I would suggest is to post over at the StorageReview.com forum, there are lots of people very knowledgeable about hard drives over there.

Good luck,

Frank

---------

Did someone help you?
Say thanks! with a kudo.
Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 18 of 50

2010-01-31, 14:18 PM

you would need to purchase a similar hdd from the same manufacturer, and remove their connector and IC chipset and transpose that to the broken hdd, this is how professional data recovery people fix this sort of problem. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

9085 Posts

01-13-2008

United States of America

77880 Signins

2233310 Page Views

• Views: 2233310
  • Message 19 of 50

2010-01-31, 15:13 PM

wrote:

you would need to purchase a similar hdd from the same manufacturer, and remove their connector and IC chipset and transpose that to the broken hdd, this is how professional data recovery people fix this sort of problem. 

There's a slight chance that it could be a bit easier than that.

On one of my drives (I don't recall what mfgr or size) I noticed that the plastic bits - including that plastic that backs the connector "fingers" - was all one piece and was just a press-fit onto the drive.  I noticed when it started coming off...

You might be able to recover your data by doing what lead_org suggests, but just carefully swapping the plastic parts.  I'm not sure this is something a civilian should attempt.  Or if it is even possible with your drive.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Options

2 Posts

02-03-2010

Denmark

3 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 20 of 50

2010-02-03, 14:46 PM

Thanks.

The descriped sequence from Frank helped me.

My problems started after running ThinkVantage System Update (with BIOS upgrade included) on my R400 7440-CTO. When I turned it on, the screen was just black for 10 minutes (the first time for 1½ hour). Only the power-on, battery and Bluetooth lamps was on.

I needed to cross my fingers and remove the CMOS battery to make it work.

/Jimmi

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)