02-23-2010

Ireland

46 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 1 of 6

My T500 turns itself on

2010-02-25, 10:56 AM

Before going to bed, I let my T500 hibernate for the night, but when I wake up next morning it’s turned on. I don’t know which program is turning it on, or what it’s doing while I’m sleeping. Is there a way to find out? (Win7 Ult. 64-bit)

Please help.

Solved! See the solution
Options

3322 Posts

07-31-2008

Pakistan

1715 Signins

151632 Page Views

• Views: 151632
  • Message 2 of 6

Re: My T500 turns itself on

2010-02-25, 12:19 PM

Hi Dane_in_Dublin,

I suggest checking Event Viewer in Win 7 to see what event is waking up your thinkpad.

To do so:-

1. Open Event Viewer by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Security, clicking Administrative Tools, and then double-clicking Event Viewer.‌ Administrator permission required If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

2. Click an event log in the left pane.

3. Double-click an event to view the details of the event.

Hope it helps.

------------------------------------------------------------

Maliha (I don't work for lenovo)
ThinkPads:- T400[Win 7], T60[Win 7], IBM 240[Win XP]

IdeaPad: U350

Apple:- Macbook Air [Snow Leopard]
Did someone help you today? Compliment them with a
Kudos!
Was your question answered today? Mark it as an Accepted Solution
de.gif  Lenovo Deutsche Community   es.gif  Lenovo Comunidad en Español 
Visit my YouTube Channel

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

21115 Posts

12-20-2008

Australia, Melbourne

20622 Signins

444194 Page Views

• Views: 444194
  • Message 3 of 6

2010-02-25, 12:40 PM

try to turn off wake on lan feature in your bios. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Options

69 Posts

07-31-2009

Hudson Valley

238 Signins

2779 Page Views

• Views: 2779
  • Message 4 of 6

2010-02-25, 15:44 PM

You can also check the Task Scheduler status to see if any tasks ran after hibernation (they will if they are set to 'wake the computer to run this task' ):

-Start

- Right click on Computer > Manage

- Double click on Task Scheduler to display 'Task Scheduler Summary'

Task status will show tasks started in the last 24 hours.  Check the run times to see if any of them ran during the night.

If you have used Media Center, mcupdate tasks get set to wake the machine from sleep or hibernation in the wee hours for housekeeping. You can expand the Task Scheduler Libary tree to find the media center tasks (in Microsoft>Windows>Media Center), select a task and look at the 'Conditions' tab to see if the 'allow wake' property is enabled.  

Options

15 Posts

02-23-2010

Ireland

46 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 5 of 6

2010-02-26, 11:32 AM

Thank you all!

I've never fiddled with the task scheduler/services area in Windows before. Gosh, a lot going on, and very difficult to get an overview of it all. Some tasks are shown in one panel or window not in another, and vice versa; some details shown one place not another etc. Also, I can't find out how to change the settings for when  a task should start. I can easily disable the task, but that is not necessarily what I want.

It looked like mcupdate was set NOT to start the computer, but the log showed that it had been doing 'something' at 3:30 AM, so yesterday I disabled it and also disabled some games update function set to run every night.

But this morning I again woke up to a turned on computer. I looks like the earliest of the many actions that my computer has performed while I was sleeping is carried out by 'PM Task' and pwmidtsv.exe. (This is one of many processes run by the Lenovo Power Manager.)

I'm very happy with the Lenovo Power Manager (in tandem with TPFanControl) and would definitely not want to turn it off. However, I can see pwmidtsv.exe does 'something' every few hours, and perhaps it starts my computer at night.

Does anybody out there know exactly what it does and know how to change the settings for when it should do it?

Options

15 Posts

02-23-2010

Ireland

46 Signins

217 Page Views

• Message 6 of 6

Update: Solved by magic

2010-03-02, 9:59 AM

Thank you, everyone!

I've used your tips to toggle with the settings in tasks and schedules. I've tried this and that without ever feeling that I had a clear overview of what was going on.

Anyway, I must have done something right. My computer no longer starts during the night.

All best

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete