12-25-2009

Illinois

6 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 1 of 4

New T500: right palm rest play and so-so keyboard

2009-12-25, 12:26 PM

Update: After a bit of digging around on this forum it appears I'm not the only one with palm rest and keyboard complaints. That's a shame. I'm considering ordering a Dell Latitude E5500 and keeping whichever is better.

Original message: 

I've had my T500 for about 48 hours and I'm bummed by two things:

1) The keyboad is not the same as the one on my trusty T41p. I go back and forth between the two and the T41p's keyboard is very, very solid. The T500's is better than a couple of old Dell Lattitudes I have around the house, but that's not saying much.

2) There is noticeable play in the right palm rest (directly to the right of the touchpad). When I lay my hand to type there's a clicking sound. I can push down on it with my finger and can feel/hear what is probably a millimeter of give. The left palm rest is fine. Do you have this experience?

Options

22 Posts

10-13-2009

Reading, UK

15 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: New T500: right palm rest play and so-so keyboard

2009-12-27, 11:28 AM

Hi there,

Keyboard: I've never used a Lenovo/Thinkpad before, but i was told they were excellent quality so dished out on a T500. I can't judge the keyboard really. I prefered my HP XE3 or NC8430 one, but it's what i've grown up with. I've heard alot of complaints about the keyboard. inparticular the lack of support frame making it "flex". If it's a problem i'd contact support and see what they have to say.

Right palm rest: Yes! exactly my thoughts when i first got the machine! The clicking noise went away, I'm assuming it's glue or tape that "sticks" when weight is applied and then pulls off  making a metallic twang/click. There also used to be a plasticy click on the far right near the "ThinkPad" logo.

The forum is plagued with these issues. I haven't the patence to pester support, next time i'll be getting another HP machine (they're simply far better built).

Good luck.

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Options

6 Posts

12-25-2009

Illinois

6 Signins

56 Page Views

• Views: 56
  • Message 3 of 4

2009-12-27, 12:46 PM

I think I'm getting used to the keyboard. The T41's is just so darn solid I doubt I'll ever find another notebook keyboard like it.

As I've been working on the new T500 I've noticed the palm rest (and ThinkPad logo) click less. I found some instructions for removing the palm rest and tucking some felt in there. I may do that after my warranty expires. Here's the link: http://j.mp/4QTBnd

Options

22 Posts

10-13-2009

Reading, UK

15 Signins

241 Page Views

• Views: 241
  • Message 4 of 4

2009-12-27, 16:09 PM

Heh, that's not a bad idea. Shame we resort to modding things that were so darn expensive in the first place. I'll be looking into this in 6 months time! :-D

~ sierra42 ~
HP TC4400
Lenovo T500
-- I am not support, I'm just trying to help! --
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms