Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

48 Posts

02-11-2014

Zimbabwe

47 Signins

571 Page Views

• Views: 571
  • Message 11 of 20

Re: No Sound/Audio on t430s

2014-08-06, 8:17 AM

The solution posted here may be relevant:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/T430-Sound-failing-intermittently/td-p/1657135

(Typo edited.)

Options

13 Posts

08-26-2014

North Carolina

25 Signins

179 Page Views

• Views: 179
  • Message 12 of 20

2014-09-30, 15:45 PM

I have this problem, too. Am running Win 7 Pro on my T430s and the o/s sounds are audible (Ding...) but I wasn't getting any sound in any application that should make sounds (DVD player, Windows Media Player, browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome).  

When I first had this problem, I updated everything using Lenovo System Update and that hosed my BIOS, locking me out.  Sent in my T430s to depot repair, who replaced my system board. When I got it back, the speakers produced sound for a couple of weeks before stopping.  Now I get no sounds from my DVD player or any
application that should produce sound, except the Windows O/S sounds (startup, shutdown, etc.).  Windows Media Player cannot play a known good MP3 file and displayed this message:  Windows Media Player error C00D11B1

After continuing to read a lot more of the forum postings about T430 & T430s sound problems, I found one that told me to uninstall the RealTek audio driver and restart my laptop.  I did that and after restarrting my T430s, Windows installed the High Definition Audio Device drivers. An MP3 file now plays and produces audio, but very weakly..  My DVD player also produces audio.

Looking in Device Manager > Sound, video and game controllers, I see two instances of High
Definition Audio Device, one in Location 0 with Microsost Driver, 11/19/2010, Version 6.1.7601.17514
and one in Location 3, with same device driver.  

Three questions?

1.  Now, why do I have two iterations of the same device driver?

2.  Why is the sound volume so low?  Before, when my sound was working, it was much louder.
Yes, I've checked all my sound settings and all are at Maximum levels.

3. How long will my laptop audio be audible?   Time will tell...

There seems to be a lot of folks that have had this problem, judging from the number of posts
here on Lenovo's forums...  Where is the definitive answer???

Options

2 Posts

10-11-2014

United States of America

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 13 of 20

2014-10-11, 16:45 PM

I had the same problem, tried anything to fix it.  Here's what I did to fix the issue consistent:

Go to device manager, under audio device, disable the intel display audio,

The issue here is that the new intel device driver automatically takes over routing of the auido to the display port of WIDI output, this is not desirable in most cases.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the onbaord audio HW or the device driver for the onboard audio (RealTek audio).  It's just the Intel driver route all the system audio to display port output as a defaut after booting, that's why you actually hear the boot up sound and then when the Intel driver kicks in, the audio is taken over.  Disable Intel display audio will fix this problem.  Of course, if you connect your systme via the display port on the back of the system to a HDMI device or use WIFI, you have to re-enable this to get the sound over the digital interface again.  

It is mind boggling that there is not a option to choose between outputing the audio to the RealTek onboard sound vs. Intel display audio (like what I have no my AMD discrete graphics card on my HTPC), but that's the root of the problem with the T430S audio problem if you update your intel graphics card driver to hte latest version, you will have audio routed to Intel Display Audio and lose your built-in speaker and headphone output as a result.  Disabling the Intel display audio (which I never use) will fix this issue consistently.

Hope htis helps.  It's truly frustrating, the T430s have been a wonderful system for me, until this irritation issues arose, I am glad I was able to fix this.

Options

13 Posts

08-26-2014

North Carolina

25 Signins

179 Page Views

• Views: 179
  • Message 14 of 20

2014-10-12, 18:21 PM

sapm_spam:  

Thank you for your reply.  Did your efforts result in good volume from your internal speakers?

but when I look in Device Manager (I'm running Win 7 Pro SP1), I don't see an "Audio Device". What I see is"Sound, video and game controllers", under which are Bluetooth Hands-Free Audio, Cyberlink WebCam Virtual Driver, and two instances of High Definiiton Audio Device.  Elsewhere under "System devices", I see another instance of Hight Definition Audio Controller and even further down the list there's a "System speaker" which has no device driver installed. The latter may have been there all along, cause originally I didn't look for any audio devices other than the Sound, video, and game controllers. 

Remember, I uninstalled the Realtek audio drivers when I had no audio coming from my apps.  Currently, my T430s produces decent volume through the headphone jack and adequate, but low volume from the internal speakers.  

I sure wish someone from Lenovo would comment on this audio situation... 

Options

48 Posts

02-11-2014

Zimbabwe

47 Signins

571 Page Views

• Views: 571
  • Message 15 of 20

2014-10-12, 18:50 PM
For what it's worth, under Device Manager, Audio inputs and outputs I
have the following:

Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)
Speaker/HP (Realtek High Definition Audio)

and under Sound, video and game controllers I have the following:

Bluetooth Hands-free Audio
Intel(R) Display Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

I have both Intel and Realtek enabled and I have no problems with sound
at all (after sorting out the problem described in my previous posting).

Here are my system specs:

ThinkPad T430
2344-DAG
Intel Core i5 3230M CPU 2.60GHz
8GB RAM
Windows 8

Options

2 Posts

10-11-2014

United States of America

3 Signins

13 Page Views

• Views: 13
  • Message 16 of 20

2014-10-13, 15:10 PM

I would recommend restore the RealTek audio driver, along with that install there's a Dolby (Theater Sound or some such thing) sound utility that will significantly boost the speaker volume if you choose to turn it on.

I only encountered problem when installing the latest Intel Display driver along with the enhanced Display Audio drivers and WIDI feature.  I later removed WIDI feature which I never used (too much latency), disabling Intel Display Audio also have permanently solved my RealTek sound issue.

Options

56 Posts

06-02-2008

United States of America

118 Signins

1025 Page Views

• Views: 1025
  • Message 17 of 20

Re: No Sound/Audio on t430s with any Bluetooth 4.0 external speakers/ headsets

2015-03-30, 21:05 PM

This is very annoying, my T410 works great (same OS Win 7 64 bit), and under  "Playback Devices" it shows all Bluetooth connected (paired) devices, which can be selected and activated.

For my T430s I do not see any other  Playback Devices except  the Speaker/HP Realtek hi def audio default device

Also Re:  your comment "..under Sound, video and game controllers I have the following:

Bluetooth Hands-free Audio
Intel(R) Display Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio"

I am missing the "Bluetooth Hands-free Audio"  item

Trying to uninstall and reinstall the T430s bluetooth driver from the Lenovo website, I get an error, cannot continue installation, so cancel install (so the uninstall wasn't successful ?) ..  hmm 

Any feedback appreciated

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Asus LG5, Toshiba M3, HP nc4400, Thinkpad R50, T61, T61p, X200 Tablet, X230, MacBook Air, T410, W510, T430s, T450s, Surface Pro, Yoga 260, Thinkpad T10, ...
Options

1 Posts

09-30-2016

United Arab Emirates

2 Signins

17 Page Views

• Views: 17
  • Message 18 of 20

2017-05-17, 8:21 AM

Hi,

i have almost the same problem with my T430s, recently to solve the problem have unistall the driver software and reinstall again and the sound was working well.

but after restarting the device again same problem appears .

kindly advice,

thanks,

Options

3 Posts

08-09-2018

United States of America

20 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 19 of 20

2018-08-09, 21:53 PM
I have the same problem, but only when I am in battery mode. If I am connected to power, the sound is fine. The bios was updated along with reinstalling the RealTek driver, but that did not fix anything. Did you find a solution? I keep trying to see if the power manager update could be causing it.
Options

3 Posts

08-09-2018

United States of America

20 Signins

39 Page Views

• Views: 39
  • Message 20 of 20

2018-08-09, 21:55 PM
Windows 7 Pro, 64 bit
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms