08-27-2020

DE

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 4

No Sound on Lenovo T14

2020-08-27, 10:04 AM

I've been using my new T14 for a few weeks without any problems whatsoever, but since a few days, no on-board audio (via speaker or 3.5mm headphones) seems to work, whereas it worked fine previously.

Realtek(R) Audio in device manager claims it is "working as intended", and I can confirm that the issue isn't with my headphones.

I tried:

• Uninstalling the device drivers
  • Restarting the laptop
  • Using Windows Troubleshooting
  • Changing Settings in the Windows- or Realtek Sound Settings
  • Downloading new Realtek drivers directly from Lenovo
  • Updating anything else that wasn't up to date in Lenovo Vantage

Curiously, audio via bluetooth still works flawlessly.

To sum up, I'm at a loss, and don't know what's going on. When opening the Loudspeaker Properties during Windows Troubleshooting, the device suddenly is "disconnected", and the "Audio Service doesn't answer".

Is this a known issue, or does anyone else have an idea as to how I can get out of this pickle?

-Cheers, Leon

Solved! See the solution
Options

1020 Posts

03-11-2020

NO

123 Signins

5676 Page Views

• Views: 5676
  • Message 2 of 4

Re:No Sound on Lenovo T14

2020-08-27, 10:34 AM

Hi Mampfer,

Welcome to the Community Forums

This sounds like incompatible drivers from a Windows update to me. 
Windows updates have a way of messing with hardware drivers, as they sometimes tend to not be compatible with the hardware made by the laptop manufacturers, be it Dell, Asus, Lenovo etc etc.

What usually helps is denying Windows Updates from affecting hardware drivers completely. You can do this by performing the step below:

Disable Automatic Hardware drivers update

- Right click the Windows Icon, select the "Search" Function.

- Type "Control Panel" and select "Small icons" or "Large Icons" in the "View By" top right.

- Click the "System Icon"

- Navigate to "Advanced System Settings" -> "Hardware"

- Click "Device Installation Settings" and Select "No"

**This will prevent Windows from interfering with your hardware drivers in future updates, but keep crucial security updates rolling.

Press the Windows Key + X, or right click the Windows icon in the bottom left. Select Device Manager from the list.

Expand the following areas:  

- Audio input and output   (Realtek Audio or similar)

- Sound, video and game controllers  (Realtek Audio or similar)

- Software components (Realtek Audio Effects Component and Universal Service if listed)

- System devices (Intel Smart Sound and/or High Definition Audio Controller)

Update them by choosing from the driver lists on your computer, make sure to choose the most recent drivers you can find that is Audio related.

(Usually the top one or the one marked in blue if no dates are shown)

- Right Click the devices

- Select Update Driver

- Browse my computer for drivers

- Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer

- Select the most recent driver from the list for every device then Click Next

- Close confirmation dialog.

If nothing works, then try the to Undo the Windows update or use a System restore:

Rolling back to a previous Win 10 Version :

- Open the Windows 10 Settings Menu by clicking the gear icon in the Windows Start menu, or by pressing “Windows+I” keys.

- Click “Update & security”

- Click the “Recovery” tab on the sidebar.

- Under “Go back to the previous version of Windows 10,” click “Get started.”

- If this is not available, then there should always be a "restore point" you can choose from "System Recovery"

- Click the Windows key and type "System Recovery" and click "Recovery" in the list.  

- Select "Open System Restore" - Click "Next" and select the latest "Restore point" where the device was working.

**Note: Rollbacks Will only remove Apps and Programs installed after the selected Restore Point date. It will not remove word/text files or pictures etc.

Once the Update rollback or the System restore is finished and if everything is back to normal.  
Perform the Disabling of Automatic Hardware Driver updates again, so that future Win updates do not interfere with hardware drivers again.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

1 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2 Posts

08-27-2020

DE

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 3 of 4

2020-08-27, 11:55 AM
Thank you very much for the prompt and comprehensive reply! I've disabled the automatic hardware driver updates, and manually installed the latest drivers for all the devices from the list. Now both headphone and loudspeakers work again as they should :)
Options

3 Posts

04-18-2018

KE

4 Signins

22 Page Views

• Views: 22
  • Message 4 of 4

2020-09-21, 9:47 AM

Hi Support,

I keep getting the error "Failed to play test tone" when trying to troubleshoot why sound is not working. I tried the below but still not working kindly assist.

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/videos/vid500130

Kindly assist.

Best Regards

Pete

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete