Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

15 Posts

02-23-2010

Ireland

46 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 1 of 4

No audio for T500 speakers, only for SPDIF

2012-08-29, 22:58 PM

(Win7 Ultimate, Thinkpad T500)

I have no sound from my speakers. When I open the “Audio” window in “Control panel” I see no “Speakers” unit, only the “SPDIF” unit.

In “Device Manager” I’ve unsuccessfully updated the Conexant 20561 SmartAudio HD driver. I’ve also deactivated the unit and then searched for new hardware and reactivated it.

ThinkVantage System Update does not suggest any new updates.

I’ve visited the Lenovo website and downloaded a driver from there. Also without success.

Here’s the tricky part: The problem does not seem to be a hardware issue. I’ve moved my Solid State Drive from one T500 to another, and the problem follows it.

First occurrence: The sound from my speakers disappeared. In an attempt to get back the sound I deactivated the speaker driver in the “Audio” window in “Control panel” and then searched for new hardware. But my laptop newer found the speaker again. And this seems to be neither driver- nor hardware related.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Best,

Christian

Options

62 Posts

08-01-2012

Raleigh

73 Signins

1711 Page Views

• Views: 1711
  • Message 2 of 4

Re: No audio for T500 speakers, only for SPDIF

2012-08-30, 0:15 AM

Hey there Dane_in_Dublin,

I have a few questions for ya.

Does this issue continue if you plug in a pair of external speakers or headphones?

How long has this issue been ocurring? Just recently, or for as long as you can remember?

Have you installed any programs since this has started? What programs?

Thanks!

Options

15 Posts

02-23-2010

Ireland

46 Signins

217 Page Views

• Views: 217
  • Message 3 of 4

2012-08-30, 8:32 AM

Thank you, sk8erbunn, for your interest!

I also have no sound from the headphone mini-jack.

The sound disappeared sometime during summer.

I've installed and updated a few programs. Here is a list of recent installations, taken from 'Program manager'. I suppose Nero11 is the most likely culprit. Or perhaps the Switch Sound File Converter.

I don't recall if the 'Windows Driver Package - Broadcom' is something I installed in an attempt to fix the problem, or if it is an automatic update from Windows that could also be the sinner.

Thanx!
00-b.jpg

Options

62 Posts

08-01-2012

Raleigh

73 Signins

1711 Page Views

• Views: 1711
  • Message 4 of 4

2012-08-30, 14:21 PM

Dane_in_Dublin,

The Windows Driver Package - Broadcom is all Networking based programs, Mainly tied to Bluetooth, but also runs Ethernet.

Nero11 is an all-in-one kind of software. I don't believe that it would cause audio issues.

The Switch Sound File Converter, however, does pose a possible problem. I've had programs that use audio files cause issues with inbound and outbound audio. It's not guaranteed, but if it's not super important to you, you can try removing it. It may fix the issue, or may not have a thing to do with the issue.

I'm not seeing anything else that could have a potental to mess with the audio, but I will go over the list again, and edit this post if I see anything that could potentally be the culprit.

Also, one more question. Did you run Lenovo System Update, or Windows Updater? There may potentally be an issue with the driver, and rolling back to an older version may fix the issue.\

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms