Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: T400 / T500 and newer T series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

03-27-2019

Hungary

5 Signins

49 Page Views

• Views: 49
  • Message 1 of 1

Nominal battery capacity changed

2020-05-19, 0:09 AM

Hi,

I bought a new 9-cell battery for my T430 last year. It worn out so quickly that after three months and about 10 cycles it had a 15% degradation in its full capacity (80090 mWh instead of 93600 Wh nominal).

I returned it and got another new one. Now it is 1 year old and compared to the original nominal capacity (93600 mWh) it only has 77230 mWh, which is a 17.4% degradation after 50 cycles.

Is it a correct value after 13 months, being on charger at around 100% charge?

I looked for charging threshold settings but unfortunately, I could not find them. I also read that it has been deleted from Lenovo settings for Windows 10. Luckily, I started digging once more a week ago and I found that setting in Lenovo Vantage.

However, I noticed that the nominal (!not the current fully charged but the manufactured!) capacity of my battery changed from 93.6 Wh to 86.58 Wh, according to softwares like Lenovo Vantage and Aida64. But it should not have happened because the fully charged value (which is effected by aging) is now 77.23 Wh. So now I can see 86.58 Wh as manufactured nominal capacity and 77.23 Wh as the maximaly usable capacity after degradation. And there is no 93.6 Wh which should not change, I think.

I reinstalled windows 10, maybe it caused this change. The system may saw that charging stopped after 86.58 Wh and it considered this value a nominal capacity. But in my opinion, the nominal capacity should not change but the fully charged capacity. Anyway, the same happened to the returned battery: its nominal capacity changed from 93.6 to 86.58 Wh, same as the new one, which is at least weird and can refer to a deeper problem. But the original battery that I bought the used laptop with in January 2017 still shows 93.4 Wh nominal capacity, though, it experienced several reinstalls of windows, as far as it was manufactured in 2012 and has a remaining capacity of 12%.

17.4% of degradation after 13 months and 50 cycles seems better than 15.5% after three months and 10 cycles but it is still strange.

Another strange thing that on charger and with 2 external monitors attached, I can see a 8-10 W power usage of the CPU on idle but it is 15-20 W running on battery...

Can it be a battery manufacturing problem, or a faulty series that I got 2 pieces from? Or it might be a fault of my laptop?

Thanks,

Simon

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms